Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me
      02/27/13 03:43 PM

It's been nearly 3 weeks since you found out you're HIV+. Have you run out into traffic screaming bloody murder about how the zombies are here and are going to eat everybody? Have you taken up the new sport of au'natural skydiving? (That's without clothes and without the parachute.) Have you become a lab rat for Dr. Frankenstein? He only has a couple of experiments he needs you for. If you haven't done any of the above then sit down, breath, and come to terms that you're going to have to finish school, because you've got to get a decent job to support yourself. You're going to live a long and hopefully full life

Your major problem is that you believe with society has told us - that if you get HIV you're going to die instantly. Surprise! It's been weeks, and you haven't demolecularized into a puddle of pond scum.

By now you've seen your case manager for the first time of many. This person can be one of your best friends for years. They have experience helping people deal with having HIV.

It is NOT an inexpensive disease to treat. Noone I know pays for their meds. Everyone gets some type of assistance paying for meds either from insurance (private, Medicaid, Medicare) or a govenment program. The same people (everyone) also gets some type of help paying for their doctor visits. Chances are very good that you're in the very early stages of this disease and won't have to start meds for years.

As for being too sick to continue school - sorry. You'll have to come up with another excuse to get out of that history exam. Now that you know and (hopefully!) are starting treatment you may never be too sick to do anything. I regularly see many people with HIV. The only ones who are sick are those who don't do what their doctors tell them to do. Your case worker/doctor/nurse doesn't get paid for each word they speak to you. Listen to what they're telling you. Do what they tell you to do.

As for telling your family - do or don't. There is nothing that says ANYONE who is a casual contact has to know. You probably don't want them knowing until you get it adjusted in your own head. Next week, next month, next decade you may decide you want them to know. You may start with 1 person. You may have a party and drop balloons with the message printed on them. How and why you tell someone is your own decision. I would say to get yourself at least slightly educated before telling anyone anything. This way you'll be able to answer their most basic questions. You may consider having someone more knowledgable with you when you speak to your family. Some people take the person they want to tell to a counselor's office and lets that person tell their family/friend. Right now you need support not judgemental people to tell you that you've sinned and you're going to hell for eternity. Keep in mind that when you do decide to tell someone you can ask, but they are under no obligation to keep your information private. And, we all know how well every family keeps secrets within itself.

You've come here to thebody. Stick around for a while and see what you can learn. You'll find that the more educated you become the less fear you will have.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Old questions, but the answers are new to me GradStudent1 02/10/13 11:13 AM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me iam1   02/27/13 03:43 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me BrokenWingedBird   02/13/13 07:55 AM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me DJones   02/12/13 04:26 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me Malchiek   02/12/13 02:11 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me notinterested   02/10/13 02:06 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me GradStudent1   02/10/13 02:14 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me notinterested   02/10/13 03:10 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me riverprincessModerator   02/10/13 01:32 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3199

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3