Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Malchiek

Reged: 02/12/13
Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me
      02/12/13 02:11 PM

Hello there,

I just wanted to say that I completely understand where you are coming from. I have never posted in here before, but saw your post and had to register to give you a little comfort. I was just diagnosed in the end of July, 2012. It was extremely hard and for the most part, it seemed like I was in chaos. I was also in grad school, I just recently have finished my MSW. I can say that continuing with school was a godsend for me. It was something that I could control. It was tangible and real. It helped me feel as if there was still a life for me and something that I could accomplish...being sick and all.

The next stretch is going to be hard. I had a CD4 of 39 when I was diagnosed, it has been a tough battle to get healthier. But, it is something that I strive for everyday. For the first month and a half of taking medications I felt completely ill and sick, but that passed. Sometimes I thought that there was nothing for me and that I would never succeed at life, but that passed as well. Surprising enough, I am now working as a medical social worker in the agency that first started my case management. Life does go on and you will still have many successes. Hold on to that thought and know that many people have been in your shoes and have made the journey that you are taking.

When it comes to the medication, being a grad student means that you are lacking in income. That means that you will more than likely be able to qualify for one of several things (AIDS Drug Assistance Programs through the state, Medicaid depending on your levels, Prescription Assistance Programs through the pharmaceutical companies, etc.). There are many options out there. What is even greater is the affordable care act is about to start. That will increase the health benefits of people who are living with HIV/AIDS. Don't give up. Stay strong. One of the greatest things to do is realize that you only have to disclose to the people who you want to...and who will support you. Only a couple of people know about my status. Those people have been a great support. You are still who you are...this does not define you! No one needs to know unless you make that choice.

Let me know if there is any support that you need. I will keep you in my thoughts. I know that you will be able to succeed with this.

Matthew

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Old questions, but the answers are new to me GradStudent1 02/10/13 11:13 AM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me iam1   02/27/13 03:43 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me BrokenWingedBird   02/13/13 07:55 AM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me DJones   02/12/13 04:26 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me Malchiek   02/12/13 02:11 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me notinterested   02/10/13 02:06 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me GradStudent1   02/10/13 02:14 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me notinterested   02/10/13 03:10 PM
. * Re: Old questions, but the answers are new to me riverprincessModerator   02/10/13 01:32 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3581

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3