The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

SMARS

Reged: 10/05/11
Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East
      10/13/11 11:25 AM

I am so grateful for organization like the AIDS Network in my local community here in the US that pointed me to this site and the forums on this site. In the last ten days, I’ve learned so much from the stories I have read here and what other have shared. Thank you so much.

cublatin and BrokenWingedBird…thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience, support and wealth of information.

Today, my brother is traveling to India to get further testing done and identify his CD4 count and more importantly, his viral load. I wasn’t able to convince him to come to the US instead but I also understand how frustrating it is here with the long wait to appointments and to see a doctor. Regardless, he doesn’t seem to get it or understand the situation. For now, I had no option but to support his decision and try to comfort him until thing settle down and he is at ease.

BrokenWingedBird…You raised several concerns which I have already shared some with my brother. Other concerns I wasn’t aware of and didn’t even think about. For that…thank you.

My brother has dual citizenship which is supported by the country where he lives. He has a good job and income and will most likely want to remain there at least for the next a few month unless the situation changes. If it does, he always has home here in the US and welcome to return anytime. Some of the point you raised very alarming and unfortunate. I am so sorry for what you and your friend had to experience in the region. This is the reason why I would never consider going back. If it wasn’t the job situation here in the US for my brother, he would still be here. I was lucky to come here (US) at young age and was able to benefit from it and adapt.

His CD4 count when he did the test was 359 which concerned me but after talking with some folks and reading about it I realized it isn’t a big deal and it tends to go up and down. I am taking on this since my older brother lacks the understanding of the virus, willing to read, doesn’t have access to information or the support network. I am hoping to at least be the one that build the knowledge so I can provide him the support and guidance if he needs it. Obviously it isn’t easy since and it is a thin line and balance between support and reality. Part of me wants to give him hope, support and at the same time getting him to understand it, recognize it and accepting it. With that comes responsibility on his part towards his own body, the people that loves him and towards others. This doesn’t have to happen today but in phases and when the time is right in the next a few months. The last ten days there were so much uncertainty but I feel much better now and my bother starting to calm down.

I am anxiously waiting for the outcome of the test and the CD4 and viral load counts. This will tell us a lot. The next a few months will be full of challenges but not impossible. I will keep you posted on this tread.

Again, million thanks for your support, sharing your experience and knowledge. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks,
SMARS

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East SMARS 10/05/11 02:55 PM
. * Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East BrokenWingedBird   10/07/11 07:46 AM
. * Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East SMARS   10/13/11 11:25 AM
. * Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East cunta_stalwart   10/14/11 12:43 PM
. * Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East cublatin   10/06/11 03:33 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2573

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3