Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

SMARS

Reged: 10/05/11
HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East
      10/05/11 02:55 PM

Hello...Three days ago I found out that my brother been diagnosed with HIV. My brother is a US Citizen living abroad in the Middle East. We are trying to decide where he should go for treatment, India or the US. At the moment, all he knows that he has the virus and terrified. He doesn't understand anything about it. I had to explain to him the basics and come him down. Obviously, this over whelming for both of us and there are so much to learn and deal with. At the moment, we are trying to determine what is the best next step that he should take. At the same time, I don't won't to make it any worse for him.

Considering I live in the US, I would prefer that he comes here instead, the option is available to him, unlike others. I feel he would get better care (maybe) and society little better than where he lives. I tried to convince him to come here but I failed. At the same time, I don't want to push him and would prefer to just provide him the support he needs. I have so many questions which I know I will have the opportunity to ask later and learn more in the near future. However and for right now, should I be concern that he wants to go to India instead? Nothing against India, it is much better option than others but my concerns are:

1) Will he has access to the same medication that he would have access to in the US?
2) Medication is expensive in the US but there are programs to help obtain it. Is the medication less expensive in India?
3) Access to care in general?

Among other things, I fear for my brother living in the Middle East and the kind of life he is going to have. This is a society that is illiterate, has no mercy or sympathy for people with the virus. Forgive me for saying it but that is the fact including my own family which no one knows at the moment. I am concern about:

The next a few months when he returns to the Middle East
The treatment he would get
If he ever get sick, will they treat him

I've already lost a cousin to the virus and I don't want to lose a brother.

If you have any experience, knowledge or information that you would like to share, I would kindly appreciate it.

Thank you,
SMARS

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East SMARS 10/05/11 02:55 PM
. * Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East BrokenWingedBird   10/07/11 07:46 AM
. * Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East SMARS   10/13/11 11:25 AM
. * Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East cunta_stalwart   10/14/11 12:43 PM
. * Re: HIV Care US vs. India and Living in the Mid East cublatin   10/06/11 03:33 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2535

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3