Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed
      03/13/10 10:04 PM

I'm going to tell you what I tell everybody - find and attend a support group! You don't have to share at the meeting. You do have to go to see that there are numerous other people very similar to yourself. I won't say "just like you", because you are unique. There is solace in numbers. Not being alone can be such a huge relief mentally.

I first tested positive more than 20 years ago. At the time there were no support groups. If you think people hide their status now you should have seen then. There were no meds. No real treatments. (It's scary what people did try to do to slow or stop this disease....) No clinics to go to for help. No case managers. No housing programs. I think you're seeing the picture here.

As bad as you think it is for you now, you have it relatively good. As good as it can be having a longterm disease.

I'm not telling you this to try to one-up-you but instead to try to give you some insight into the way things were. It's important to know where this disease has been to know where it's going.

I'm not going to lie to you. It isn't a cake walk dealing with HIV. There are going to have to be some changes made to your life. Being that you're newly diagnosed chances are you're years away from starting treatment. But, better to start seeing a doctor now instead of waiting until you're sick on your deathbed.

In the meantime what should you do? I'd recommend living. So many people I see who find out they're HIV+ basically shut down. Don't let this happen to you. There is no reason why you can't get out and go to work 5, 6, or 7 days a week. Depending on your job. Take care of yourself. Live healthily.

HIV will be a big part of your life, but don't let it control your life.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* I am scared - newly diagnosed NiceGuyNYC 03/06/10 12:15 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed caliztony   03/15/10 02:32 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed iam1   03/13/10 10:04 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed TomInNYC   03/12/10 10:53 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed LANiceGuy   03/09/10 10:29 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed ajhope   03/12/10 05:38 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4608

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3