The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

TomInNYC

Reged: 03/12/10
Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed
      03/12/10 10:53 PM

Wow. My own diagnosis wasn't so long ago (7 years) that I don't remember how frightening it still is and how alone in the world it can make you feel. I felt the same way despite having some good friends who were already living their lives with HIV. Didn't matter, I still felt like I was adrift in a rowboat. I'm sorry you are going through it now but you will get through it. Just try not to worry too much, find the best medical care you can from people who treat you well, and above all, limit your time on the internet looking up horror stories or things that can frighten you.

One bright spot for you in all this is that you are in NYC, and there are tons of resources for you and anyone else who is newly diagnosed. There is no need for you to continue to feel all alone. Your LGBT community center can put you in touch with support groups specifically for people that have become HIV+ in the last year or less. When you have a chance to catch your breath and are ready to reach out to more people there are social organizations for HIV+ men. SIN (Strength in Numbers) in NYC is one. In addition there are several medical clinics in NYC that not only offer health care, but most of them can put you in touch with other support groups. There is even a regular yoga class for HIV+ people at the clinic I use.

The important thing for now is for you to make sure you see a doctor regularly, keep your appointments, and get in the habit of taking care of and being kind to yourself. The latest news about HIV+ people that are diagnosed today while still relatively healthy is that with treatment, they will likely enjoy and experience a normal lifespan.

Good luck my friend!

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* I am scared - newly diagnosed NiceGuyNYC 03/06/10 12:15 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed caliztony   03/15/10 02:32 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed iam1   03/13/10 10:04 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed TomInNYC   03/12/10 10:53 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed LANiceGuy   03/09/10 10:29 PM
. * Re: I am scared - newly diagnosed ajhope   03/12/10 05:38 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4739

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3