Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

BonkerzTX

Reged: 10/22/09
Loc: Dallas, TX
Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to?
      10/31/09 11:21 AM

As a 63 year old with 34 years into a long term relationship, I did everything over the years to remain negative. However, I let my guard down this past summer and was exposed to HIV. Roughly 2 months later I was diagnosed positive after being very ill for 3 weeks. The news was devastinging and I became very depressed. The doctors were treating me more for the depression than the HIV. And, just when I was about to come to terms with my diagnosis, I was rushed to the hospital with a perforated colon. The result of some wilder than usual toy play. I was left with a colostomy, which will be reversed in the coming month and a recuperation period of seven weeks. My doctors told me to forget about the HIV for the moment and get past the colostomy surgery and all that I would face in the coming weeks. Well, it has been two months since that day I was rushed to the hospital and during this time I have read a lot about HIV. I finally was able to start treatment a month ago and will get my first follow up on counts next week. The doctor put me on treatment now, not because my counts were bad, which they aren't, but because of my age. There is not a lot of information on HIV med's on senior's out there. So why not go ahead and get the treatment.

Right now I feel good and have a totally different mindset than I did after being diagnosed. I will live out the rest of my life just fine and HIV will not control me. I just take my medication daily and go on. When little things bother me, I just remember I was already starting to get these things due to my age, before HIV and that I should not worry what will bring the end of my life in a few years, but to enjoy it fully for the years I have left.

Continue to read, meet new people who are HIV positive and can offer you insight and live your life. Stop looking over your shoulder for something that will not be there. At this point, I just shy away from buses these days. Seems everybody tells me my chances are better that I will probably get hit by a bus before the HIV gets me.

And finally, my partner, brother, partners family, employer and religious leader have supported me 100% and are there fighting for me and allowed me to get my act together and get beyond the initial depression and come to terms with my HIV status. I did not have the burden of telling my parents as they have passed. However, I would never not tell someone who I feel has a need to know or would want to know out of true friendship and compassion. I firmly believe in my friends knowing, for sometime they may be faced with a situation that requires administering aid to me and they need to know to be cautious for their own well being. Maybe I am paranoid about passing the HIV on to others. If I tell someone and they have a problem, its their problem...not mine.

Going forward I will seek others that I can learn more from on how to live with HIV and be a happy camper again...it will happen as I see it beginning already and it has only been a few months.

Be smart, be happy and be well. Life is Grand !

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? espoirnyc 10/25/09 11:21 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? RandyNnyc   11/14/09 08:17 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? Starboy   03/20/11 04:49 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? espoirnyc   11/01/09 09:52 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? DJones   11/01/09 08:56 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? espoirnyc   11/01/09 09:53 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? BonkerzTX   10/31/09 11:21 AM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? Tom2002   10/29/09 05:57 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? espoirnyc   11/01/09 09:57 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? MrGiftig   10/29/09 03:42 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? FLOWERMAN   10/29/09 03:13 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? ruralguy   10/28/09 09:58 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9969

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3