Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

FLOWERMAN

Reged: 06/18/09
Loc: Rochester, New York, USA
Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to?
      10/29/09 03:13 PM

I understand the feeling of loneliness you are going through. It was 12 years ago that my partner told me that he was posative. We had just met, I had been knocked off my feet. He was handsome, attentive, a great cook and accepted me for me (I had been married for 20+ years and had 2 children)
We were getting ready to go to dinner and he said before we went we needed to talk.

He started by saying where the door was, and if I got up and walked out he would understand. Then he explained to me he was HIV+ ahd had been for over 12 years. I sat in silence for a few minutes and then asked if it was alright to ask question. He said sure, so I asked if he knew who. He said yes, I asked if he was in treatment, and another yes, and then I asked if he was willing to keep me safe. Again I received another yes.

If I had walked out on him that night, I have no idea where I would be now> I work in HIV/STD education and prevention, my kids and family love him and his family is great to me.

I would encourage you to talk with the people at GMHC, they are a great link to support groups, care, and any other needs you might have. There is a program that they and other HIV related agencies in NYC do called HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP, it deals with the stress around disclosure to family and friends, sex partners, and how to promote safe sex pratices.

If you have any question feel free to contact me here. I get to NYC often to train agencies in different interventions and would be glad to meet and talk over a cup of coffee.

Good Luck, and even if it seems difficult, you are not alone. It sounds like your reactions to the news is very normal. Get into treatment as soon as you can, eat well balanced meals, get plenty of rest, exercise to stay healthy and don't "party" drugs and alcohol are not good for persons who have HIV.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? espoirnyc 10/25/09 11:21 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? RandyNnyc   11/14/09 08:17 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? Starboy   03/20/11 04:49 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? espoirnyc   11/01/09 09:52 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? DJones   11/01/09 08:56 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? espoirnyc   11/01/09 09:53 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? BonkerzTX   10/31/09 11:21 AM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? Tom2002   10/29/09 05:57 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? espoirnyc   11/01/09 09:57 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? MrGiftig   10/29/09 03:42 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? FLOWERMAN   10/29/09 03:13 PM
. * Re: Is there anyone in NYC I can talk to? ruralguy   10/28/09 09:58 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9473

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3