Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

bnagayguy
Regular

Reged: 01/29/09
Re: When to Worry?
      09/17/09 06:49 PM

Listen to your doctor - DON"T WORRY!!

Your paranoia is nothing more than fear of the unknown. As a long--term survivor (21 years and counting) of HIV, I can honestly say that if you do what you need to do, to care for yourself - eat healthy foods, avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugar, get plenty of rest and exercise regularly, you should be able to live a long, healthy and prosperous life. Be sure to maintain a good mental state of mind/being - it helps get you through the tough spots.

When you start HIV meds, take them faithfully; the regimens are much easier today than when I was diagnosed in 1988; some once per day and others twice per day. And there are many more viable alternatives today -- THANK GOD!! Your treatment provider can help you determine what meds will best support you, and when to start them. (Incidentally, current thought is to start meds around the 500-ct. of CD4 cells.)

Check out Nelson Vergel's and Michael Mooney's book "Built to Survive". It's full of information and helpful tips to promote your well-being. Above all, educate yourself about successfully living
with HIV.

And be sure of your treatment provider and his/her capabilities. If you ever have any questions, ask them. If you should ever question your provider's treatment, get a second opinion, or find another treatment provider. I left L.A. because of my treatment providers (yes, I had multiple doctors) - they gave me 6 months to live. My current doctor in TN figured out in about 6 days what was causing my downward spiraling health; my docs in L. A. completely missed it for nearly 4 years. And it wasn't related to HIV or AIDS!! I'm back to living, not just existing.

HIV is a manageable, long-term, chronic disease/illness; people aren't dying from HIV/AIDS related illnesses, these days (unless they don't do what they need to do to care for themselves.) These, days those living with HIV are expected to live fully productive lives well into their 60s, 70s and 80s. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!!

Worrying/paranoia serves no purpose, other than to create more fear and anxiety -- so don't bother doing it!! Get and know the facts that will help you live your best life you can ever imagine!!

If you care to drop me a line, feel free to do so here, or at my email bnagayguy@yahoo.com.

Be well!

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* When to Worry? JAGuar 09/14/09 04:03 PM
. * Re: When to Worry? bnagayguy   09/17/09 06:49 PM
. * Re: When to Worry? swaves   09/17/09 05:28 PM
. * Re: When to Worry? ruralguy   09/14/09 07:54 PM
. * Re: When to Worry? Angel_Ronnie   09/16/09 05:51 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7096

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3