Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have
      02/03/06 05:58 AM

No one really knows yet, and I suspect that we won't know for a few years. The disease was only really identified just over two decades ago, and the cocktail first came out only a decade ago. However, with advances thus far, I am optimistic, as are most people.

To date, evidence shows that with proper treatment and a healthy lifestyle, one should be able to live a normal lifespan (providing one has access to meds and basic needs of sustenance), and one should be able to manage their HIV like any other chronic condition. So HIV isn't necessarily the death sentence that it was once thought to be (depends on where you live, lifestyle, socioeconomics, etc.).However, we should also be cognizant of the the fact that that the drugs have not been out for even an average lifespan yet, so no one really knows what the prognosis will be 10 years down the road.

Also, although the efficacy of the drugs are generaly quite good, one must keep in mind that there are drug resistant strains & the virus can mutate if one is does not adhere to a strict regime & a healthy lifestyle. It is also likely that an individual will, at a certain point in their treatment, develop resistance to a particular cocktail. Indeed, from what I know most find that they have to change cocktails eventually due to resistence issues. Furthermore, those who have been infected for decades sometimes find that they have become resistant to all drugs currently available.

On the other hand, I know of individuals who have been infected for 16 to 20 years and are doing better than (and in some caseshave outlived) those infected very recently, due to differences in lifestyle. They have also outlived negative people of their generation.

The good news is that research is ongoing & and there are new and better drugs coming out all the time. There are also vaccine trials going on around the world, which at the very least may help to boost the immune system of those already infected. The most promising are the Merck phase II trials & the Italian "Tat" Vaccine phase II trials. The onus is on all of us to lobby for a vaccine of sorts & for governments to provide R & D incentives to researchers and drug companies.

With ongoing developments, you have much to look forward to. I'm sure with a healthy lifestyle and good medical care you will do just fine.

All the best.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Anonymous 02/02/06 05:18 PM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Anonymous   02/11/06 07:59 AM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Ushuaia   02/17/06 01:13 AM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Anonymous   02/03/06 03:32 PM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Anonymous   02/03/06 03:41 PM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Anonymous   02/09/06 03:03 AM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have still_here   02/09/06 07:36 PM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Anonymous   02/03/06 05:58 AM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Anonymous   02/04/06 12:59 PM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Benders   02/03/06 05:34 AM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have kyle   02/03/06 02:26 AM
. * Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have Survivor   02/02/06 07:04 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7445

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3