The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Teens

Really Scared
Unregistered

Can I catch HIV infection this way?
      01/09/02 03:25 PM

I am only 19 and I don't quite understand why I have to deal with this.
Perhaps some will laugh at me for my ignorance and deem this post as a hoax, but I really am frightened over this issue and am losing sleep over this. Please, someone try to help me please, please don't think of thsi as a hoax, it is a truly genuin fear of mine. Anyone, please give me some advise!
What happened was this. It happened over 10 months ago in a public restroom.
It was pretty crowded in there and U had to wait my turn to use a stall. So there was definitely someone before me using the stall. It finally came to my turn to use the stall. I had just finished my business and was about to use the toilet paper to clean up. For some reason, and I'm really regretting it now, I accidently swiped the toilet paper against the toilet seat before I absent-mindedly continued to use the toilet paper. Oh why didn't I had the presence of mind to discard it? I can't understand.
Now I have to live with the thought that I may have exposed myself to HIV infection. I mean, the toilet paper which came into contact with the seat actually also came into contact with my genitalia!
Upon realisi ng what I did, I immediately stood up from the seat and started to inspect the seat. To my horror, I saw some stains on the seat! It was not imaginary, there was indeed something on the seat. The lighting was not good so I can't be sure what it was. Now under normal circumstances I probably would not worry, but I keep thinking about how there was an occupant just before me in that stall, what if she had left some infected fluid on the seat? Wouldn't I have come into contact with those fluid then, if they had been there. I don't recall ssing blood, so that may be a source of comfort. But what if she had dripped some blood accidently( sometime this happens to me too, when I am having my period) onto the seat but wiped it away with tissue paper, leaving residue of HIV behind. Can i still get infected this way.
I know I have no reason to imply that the previous occupant is HIV positive, but one can never be too sure. Furthermore, the time lap between her exit and my entrance of thes tall was barley seconds long, the virus if it was present would not have enough time to die and not pose a risk.
I have been living with all sorts of fear and doubts for the past ten months. I am afraid to test in case I am really positive because of this incident. I am quite certain that before this incident I am negative as I never had practiced any activity that would put me at risk. I am so worrried and obsessed by this one incident that sometimes I even treat myself as infected already. I am always so worried once every month for fear that I may put my dear ones at risk as I am sometimes rather careless about hygiene. I fear that my menses can put my family risk if they acciently came into contact with the blood. I wash the toilet like crazy and do all sorts of things in hope that I will minimise the chances of them catching anything from me, buy sometimes accidents just occur and I will suffer sleepless nights. What shall I do?

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Can I catch HIV infection this way? Really Scared 01/09/02 03:25 PM
. * Re: Can I catch HIV infection this way? Anonymous   06/19/06 12:27 PM
. * Re: Can I catch HIV infection this way? Anonymous   08/06/04 03:34 AM
. * Re: Can I catch HIV infection this way? Anonymous   01/10/02 10:26 AM
. * Re: Can I catch HIV infection this way? Anonymous   01/10/02 10:34 AM
. * Re: Can I catch HIV infection this way? Anonymous   01/09/02 03:31 PM
. * Re: Can I catch HIV infection this way? Anonymous   06/07/04 03:18 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26979

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement