Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Karla
Unregistered

Re: my brother's late stage
      10/22/02 03:48 AM

Dear Georgia: I am so sorry for the situation you and your brother are in. I can really empathize with the frustration you must feel at not being able to help. Even with late stage AIDS, you're brother may have very well recovered from the infection he had which may have had dementia as a part of the complication. AIDS is a roller coaster; coming to deaths door (seemingly) and then back to the living again. You indicated I think that 'he is doing well now' so, again, the dementia that can be a related complication of an AIDS related infection doesn't necessarily remain permanent (as in the case of alzheimers for example); in essence, he may not be suffering from dementia now; it he still was, you would definately know it and guardianship issues would come up if he was unable to care for himself. Again, I don't have enough detail to tell. Feel free to post again if you want to. I provided care (as a sole care-giver) for my close friend for 1 1/2 years (to varying degrees of intensity depending on the roller coaster (look up lazerus syndrome on an AIDS website). My friend died in June, fortunately without full out dementia, just a little paranoia etc., but others have different experiences. I also have a friend who periodically goes through episodes of mental health issues that get labeled "dementia" because of his late stage AIDS, but he is now back to work and doing well so it all depends. There are also a number of 'hiv/aids and mental health' sites that you can put in yahoo and review as well. Again, I'm sorry for you and your brother's difficulties; please post again if you want to. Best Regards, Ji

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* my brother's late stage georgia 10/21/02 05:05 PM
. * Re: my brother's late stage Anonymous   02/20/04 12:45 AM
. * Re: my brother's late stage Anonymous   10/22/02 11:53 AM
. * Re: my brother's late stage Karla   10/22/02 03:48 AM
. * Re: my brother's late stage georgia   11/01/02 05:09 PM
. * Re: my brother's late stage Karla   11/04/02 10:43 PM
. * Re: my brother's late stage georgia   11/06/02 05:55 PM
. * Re: my brother's late stage Karla   11/08/02 03:41 AM
. * Re: my brother's late stage Anonymous   02/12/03 04:51 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7231

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement