Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Mother passed away and looking for resources for support
      09/20/13 05:31 PM

I am terribly sorry for your loss. It's never easy especially when so many questions are left unanswered.

You actually covered a lot of different thoughts in your post. One being a concern you may have been exposed. That is an easy one to take care of. Just go to your local public health or HIV clinic and ask them for a test. Most places offer free or low cost testing. Usually done in 15-20 minutes and you are out the door with your results. If you choose to see your GP then it can take 2-3 weeks for the result.

The other thing you wrote about was your mom's reasons for not telling you. That's a biggie and all anyone can do is speculate on it. Though I will use some of your logic to do so. You may have grown up with HIV not being a big issue, but your mom didn't. She was old enough to have seen the start and how awful people and their families were treated. Maybe she thought she could spare you the pain she had for her own status.

Whatever the reason she did it out of love for you, may not have been the right choice by your standards, but it was for her.

Lastly, while this site is for support we don't get to many people grieving a recent loss of a loved one. We all have lost someone at some point and can offer our sympathies, but you have quite a recent and serious wound.
You are welcome to post as much as you like, but may I offer you some advice.

Seek out a local support group where you can meet face to face with people and get the actual support you need. The Internet can be a quick fill in, but you would benefit more from peer to peer contact. Simply open the "blue" section of your yellow pages (community services) or do a google search for local grief support groups. There are quite a few different support groups you can attend with all the things you listed that would be a welcoming environment for you to start your healing.

Again not to say you can't get support here, you can and are welcome to, just don't limit it to here. Ok.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that things start to feel normal again soon for you. Again please accept my deepest sympathy.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Mother passed away and looking for resources for support Manda284 09/20/13 04:19 PM
. * Re: Mother passed away and looking for resources for support shawn55   12/11/13 11:46 PM
. * Re: Mother passed away and looking for resources for support matong   09/27/13 07:28 AM
. * Re: Mother passed away and looking for resources for support anotherday   09/22/13 11:54 AM
. * Re: Mother passed away and looking for resources for support kicker   09/20/13 05:31 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2188

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement