Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

anotherday
Regular

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: New to forum
      07/23/13 01:54 PM

Good Morning,

To be honest the sorrow and anguish will pass and you will find things as normal as always. He was an awesome guy before HIV, he is still that same guy, now just with HIV!

I was diagnosed in Feb/13, I was already heading into the AIDS direction of things with extremely low cd4 count and moderately high VL, the doctor actually measured time in months for me if I did not start meds right away. Scared, yes, but I grabbed onto the opportunity to really see who I was, and wow, a whole bunch of doors swung wide open ... I became a new person for it!

It's okay to have the rush of emotions, but do keep in mind, it's not that bad ... it is not a death sentence like it was years ago. Its just a virus ... I would take HIV over cancer or even diabetes ... way more controllable. Yes a certain stigma goes along with HIV but if he has a strong famiily and friend network that is supportive instead of judgemental he is ready to fly.

The viral load, the meds will begin to make him tired, but that just comes with it, he might have to redirect how he works, how he lives alittle ... that's not a big deal.

Disclosure I think is the hardest issue with HIV, more so then the virus and med issues. Who to tell, how to tell ... but unless he is planning on having an intimate encounter/relationship or drug needle sharing with someone, he really does not have to disclose any further than he has. Especially since he has your 100% support, you sound like awesome people don't let HIV destroy that.

I am a rare exception to the standard of how people react to this, for me I just went ok ... time to live! I built a force field of strength and positivity around me, no stress, live healthy, eat healthy, exercise ... basically living better then I was before diagnosis ... doing that really got me pumped up to see everything in a different light.

You all need to know, it's family strength, education on HIV (that it's not so bad), and knowing how to react when people are judgemental regarding HIV ... a sense of humour and wit really helps more then wanting to beat them with a stick.

I really hope you contact me in the private forum, I like chatting one on one in sharing my story (as crazy as it is) but for me to learn from others aswell, especially since I didn't handle this the way most do ... and that is the exciting thing about HIV (as I am sure with most diseases) it effects everyone differently.

I look forward to chatting with you and your son!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* New to forum mom2w 07/23/13 01:21 PM
. * Re: New to forum anotherday   07/23/13 01:54 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1050

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement