Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

MobileBayGay

Reged: 11/01/12
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: MY BROTHER ...
      11/01/12 03:36 PM

It's hard to find out that someone you love has been diagnosed with HIV. It's frightening because they are dealing with issues of possible abandonment, judgement, fear for their health and future and what this means for both, and I have found that in far too many cases unfortunately, part of the reaction is based on a lack of accurate information on the disease and treatment. There are still so many people who view this disease as it was first perceived, because the mainstream media largely left it there.

The best thing for both of you to do is get the crying out of your system - that's normal - and then dive in head-first into accurate information about the disease and treatment. Things you know and are informed about are far less frightening than the stranger at the door. As you do this, I'm am convinced you will discover that many of the fears you are reeling from right now will be calmed.

While incurable today, it's now a treatable disease. For people who learn as much as they can and seek the proper treatment, they will eventually see that while it can be a pain in the ass to deal with, it doesn't have to be life-ending or life-changing accept in terms of being more responsible in regards to their health than most people are.

Be strong for your brother. Cry in private. Smile and be confident when you're with him. He needs someone to make him feel that life will be ok and normal. He doesn't need to see his loved ones validating his own fears through their own emotional breakdowns and uninformed insecurities. This isn't a death or a funeral, where misery loves company. The misery he's currently experiencing needs to feel strong shoulders and see confident expectation that if properly treated, everything will be ok.

If you need a strong shoulder to prop up yours, find you're own.

Read. Study. Be proactive. Take control together and do what needs to be done together. Move actively forward. The more sure steps you both take in that direction, the better and more hopeful I know you'll both feel.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* MY BROTHER ... Sunshine87 09/30/12 07:26 AM
. * Re: MY BROTHER ... pataguayo111   10/27/12 02:30 AM
. * Re: MY BROTHER ... kicker   09/30/12 07:49 AM
. * Re: MY BROTHER ... Sunshine87   09/30/12 08:04 AM
. * Re: MY BROTHER ... MobileBayGay   11/01/12 03:36 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1958

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement