Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: I love him but my family doesn't approve....
      08/30/12 02:24 PM

You can't make people understand that above all else is a fact of life. What you can do is feed them information and hope they can meet you somewhere in the middle.

I would suggest talking to them and placing it as plainly as you have here. Ask them what exactly their fears are and give them educated counter points to their fears. Such as they might say, "we don't want you to be infected and die." (which is probably their biggest concern). To that you could counter with how you both plan on practicing safe sex how you are going to do that and how with treatment and safe sex you have little to no risk of being infected. Show them articles and proof of that.

Ask your bf to also accompany you to have this discussion. Do it when everyone can sit down and talk calmly and rationally. Don't allow emotion to take over the conversation. This will show how much thought and research you have put into it. Dont accuse them of being naive just give them time to digest the information. Don't expect an immediate turn around. What you can ask is for their support and allowing you to make the decisions you want and remind them how well they raised you to make the right decisions.

Best of luck.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* I love him but my family doesn't approve.... Other 08/30/12 10:40 AM
. * Re: I love him but my family doesn't approve.... Lovinlost   11/09/12 08:22 PM
. * Re: I love him but my family doesn't approve.... max008   10/30/12 12:45 AM
. * Re: I love him but my family doesn't approve.... kicker   08/30/12 02:24 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4691

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement