Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

LUVmyHIVposGIRL

Reged: 08/02/06
Loc: Washington State USA
Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away.
      08/02/06 01:52 PM

Greetings,

First off, let me say how comforting your website has been since my girlfriend and I found out she is HIV+. The best thing I have done for myself it to get educated as much as possible about HIV. I went from hysteria to relative calm the more I read here. Thanks to everyone involved with the site and the posters on the boards for your efforts.

I met this wonderful woman on the internet about 5 months ago. She was just looking for someone to chat with and not necessarily looking to fall in love. She was abused by her last boyfriend, and a year after leaving him, was raped. Along with the trauma of the incident, she was also dealing with the fact that she could be HIV+ so she would not entertain the idea of meeting me until she got her test results at the 6 month mark. She had alot of anxiety about possibly being HIV+ and despite my repeated efforts to get her to change her mind, she absolutely didn't feel comfy starting a new relationship with someone until she had her test. Well, we ended up falling deeply in love with each other and have worked up a nice little relationship together, even tho it's only telephone and internet chat/emails. I have told her repeatedly that even if she is HIV+, I still want a relationship with her. We fully expected her to test negative because of the low odds of her contracting the virus and even had our first date all planned out. She was tested and got her results on Thursday and found out she is indeed HIV+. She's still in shock as it's only been 5 days since finding out. She thinks her life is over and she seems to want to just give up and wait to die.

I'm no mental health expert but I imagine this is a very common reaction to finding out you are HIV+. Is this true?

She's also telling me to go away and move on and that she can't have a relationship with me now. I'm fully committed to her whether or not she's HIV+ so I'm not going anywhere. The impact on our potential sex life together will obviously be something we'll need to adjust to because of her being positive but it's not enough to make me want to run from this girl. I would give up sex completely for her without a doubt.

Is this a normal reaction as well? I mean to push your lover away? Should I just give her some time and not force my way in to helping her deal with this?

My thoughts are that she'll eventually come around and realize that her life is not over and she'll want to be with me. I haven't spoken to her but one time since she found out, which is when she told me the news. I ended up raising my voice at her for wanting to push me away and she hung up on me. Can't really blame her cuz she doesn't need me putting stress on her. I regret raising my voice to her but at the time my emotions were completely out of whack after hearing such shocking and devastating news, and on top of that her telling me she's dumping me when all I want is to be there for her.

What is the best thing I can do to help her right now? She knows me very well so the anxiety of meeting someone in person that she met on the web is non-existant. The only thing keeping her away now is her HIV. I have purchased a nice book about living with HIV for her and another autobiography book from a woman living with HIV in the hopes she to can get educated about HIV and perhaps find inspiration to want to live her life as normally as possible.

Thanks again to the creators/moderators/content providers of this awesome website. It has truly been a blessing for me to have this resource. After finding out, I was a wreck, but the information I found here has allowed me to become more educated about HIV and Mixed status couples and that gave me ALOT of comfort.

With great gratitude,

--------------------
"Think about living, not dying." -- Me

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away. LUVmyHIVposGIRL 08/02/06 01:52 PM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away. Itani   08/30/06 12:41 AM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away. Anonymous   08/27/06 10:43 PM
. * Sorry, but you don't even know her really. Maybe Anonymous   08/20/06 01:26 PM
. * Re: Sorry, but you don't even know her really. Maybe Anonymous   08/20/06 10:30 PM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away. Jenni   08/14/06 05:56 PM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away. Anonymous   08/10/06 06:04 AM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away. Vicki   08/09/06 11:01 PM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away. LUVmyHIVposGIRL   08/14/06 01:50 PM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girl is pushing me away. Anonymous   08/09/06 07:32 PM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girlfriend is pushing me away. Bear60   08/03/06 06:40 AM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girlfriend is pushing me away. LUVmyHIVposGIRL   08/03/06 07:33 AM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girlfriend is pushing me away. Bear60   08/03/06 07:58 AM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girlfriend is pushing me away. LUVmyHIVposGIRL   08/02/06 05:28 PM
. * Re: Newly diagnosed girlfriend is pushing me away. AIDS2HIV   08/02/06 04:10 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12437

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement