Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Anonymous
Unregistered

Need help for children with hiv positive dad
      07/29/04 10:22 AM

Hello all,

I am need of extreme help in this situation. I am very knowledgable and have read everything there is to read about hiv and it's transmission. My ex husband is hiv positive and we have two small children under four. They are too young to understand the disease and it's transmission and he won't let me tell them anyway. Anyway, I have read that the only risk to them from is from blood to blood contact and blood to mucutaneous contact (mouth/eyes). I have also researched actual cases of household transmission. There have been a few. #1 a five year old boy got it from his mom, from presumed blood to blood contact or mouth/eyes. She has cuts once in a while that bled as did he. #2 A sister got it from older sister. Unknown, how. Presumed from maybe sharing a razor. #3 A little boy got it from his baby brother. Baby had drooling with maybe blood, nose bleeds etc. #4 A mother got it from her son while taking care of him. Does not know how. She has ezcema on hands and put lotion on his head for psorias, but not bleeding. But this is only thing she could think of. People's hands often have small, invisible wounds around the cuticles of the fingernails; these may provide doorways into the body for the virus #5.In one instance, a mother caring for an HIV-infected infant (transfusion recipient) became infected. She frequently did not wear gloves and did not wash her hands immediately after frequent contact with the baby' s feces, blood, saliva, and nasal secretions. #6Road accidents
Only one case has been reported where a blood spillage during a road accident was the source of infection (Hill). Fears about this eventuality need to be considered not only in the context of the likelihood of coming into contact with an HIV-positive person in this situation, but also the small risk of transmission from blood splashes, as established from the follow–up of health care workers exposed to blood.#6 Traumatic accidents in sport
Only one case has been reported where a man was seemingly infected by another man as a result of bashing his head against another man's head during a football match (Torre). Blood was seemingly exchanged, but we cannot be certain that the man who believed he had been infected was uninfected beforehand, despite his failure to report any risk factors. #7Biting
Several cases of HIV transmission have been attributed to biting. In one case a five year old child infected with HIV by transfusion bit his eight year old brother (Wahn). Infection was not detected until his death from AIDS three and a half years later. His brother was discovered to be HIV–positive. There appeared to be no other explanation for infection: the brother had not received blood and had not been sexually abused to the knowledge of his parents, but his mother had noticed a bite mark on his arm about six months before the younger child died. Infection through contact with faeces
#8 A case was reported in 1994 of a 75 year old woman who had tested HIV–positive shortly after the death of her son from AIDS. Her husband tested HIV–negative and she denied any other risk factors for HIV infection. She had nursed her son for approximately six weeks before his death and had on occasion failed to wear gloves when dealing with bodily wastes. Her son had suffered occasional episodes of gastrointestinal bleeding and gingivitis; it is speculated that the mother could have come into contact with infected blood through small cuts on her hands (MMWR Report).
Child infected through household contact with mother
One case has been reported in which a child appears to have been infected through contact with his mother's ulcerated skin. The child had weeping skin rashes too, and it is speculated that the child may have contracted HIV as a result of close contact with his mother (MMWR Report). #10 A final example should serve as a caution when examining unusual modes of transmission. A young man (Brother 1) who tested negative for HIV antibodies in 1989 and subsequently received only heat treated high purity Factor VIII had seroconverted by January 1992. His CD4 count had declined from 1,102 to 846/500 between 1985 and 1987, and had declined to 120–70 in 1992.

His brother (Brother 2) had tested positive for HIV antibodies in 1985, and had reported a possible seroconversion illness in 1983. His CD4 count ranged from 400 to 550 cells/mm3 between 1987 and 1991 to 110 cells/mm3 in 1992.

Nucleotide sequencing as used in the case of the two children discussed under Fighting between children above showed a strong similarity between viral isolates of Brother 1 and Brother 2. This finding suggests that the virus was transmitted from one to the other. If both brothers had been infected through Factor VIII infusions, researchers would expect to see significant differences in the virus strains carried by the two brothers. This evidence suggests that the brother who had seroconverted by 1992 had not been suffering from a long period of `silent' infection.

Information on the route of transmission relies on self–report; the only means of transmission is said to be the sharing of a razor in 1988, over a year before the last negative test of Brother 2. Brother 2 was transfused with six units of red blood cells from seronegative donors during 1989 and 1990.

I know this was very long, but I wanted to point out that it does happen. How can I PROTECT my children??? My ex-husband will not read about the disease or anything. The thing is anything is possible, even if small. And my child getting it is not a risk I am willing to live with? So what am I supposed to do? The courts will not restrict visitation because of hiv. And I can not see what is going on, when I am not with them and they are with him. I am falling apart over this. I am angry about it. My children should not have to live with this outcome because he could not be faithful to me... Please help me. I don't know what to do... And I can't live with the risk to them from their father, no matter how small it is....

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Need help for children with hiv positive dad Anonymous 07/29/04 10:22 AM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad Anonymous   03/23/05 05:47 PM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad Anonymous   03/23/05 04:00 PM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad Broken_Angel1   07/29/04 04:46 PM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad Anonymous   09/22/04 06:43 PM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad Anonymous   10/01/04 03:23 AM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad Anonymous   10/02/04 11:59 AM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad killfoile   10/05/04 02:24 PM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad Anonymous   09/29/04 09:05 AM
. * Re: Need help for children with hiv positive dad Anonymous   10/07/04 12:38 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6268

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement