My doctor has me on
* Eat 5–6 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, or approximately 3 cups. Eat a variety of colors for a full range of nutrients.
* Aim to have 50% of your carbohydrates come from whole grains.
* Choose lean protein sources such as skinless chicken breast, fish, extra-lean cuts of pork and beef, and low-fat dairy products.
* Limit added sugar, sweets, and soft drinks; they are low in nutrient density and cause spikes in glucose levels.
* Have a serving or more of nuts, seeds, or legumes per day.
* Whether eating a full meal or snacking, include all 3 macronutrients: protein, carbohydrates, and a little fat.