The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Can You Be HIV+ and a Nurse?
      01/29/03 01:49 PM

I am a nurse with an HIV + relative. Yes it is possible to be a nurse and be pos. You need to start by knowing that your HIV status is private and you do not need to tell anyone. There are laws that protect you in this fact.
Apply to nursing school, finish your program and ultimately choose a place to work that does not put you into direct intensive contact with multiple procedures--do not choose ICU, ER, or OR but instead choose to work in research, out-patient clinics, telephone triage, utilization review, community health, education. These are areas that are not considered to be glamorous but which do provide excellent opportunities and salaries.
As for all the stuff you read about nursing, forget it!!
Nusing is a great profession that provides decent wages (average starting salary in my area that has a low cost of living for a full time nurse is about $38 to $42 K) flexible work schedules (you can work days, nights, evenings, 8 hr shifts, 10 hr,12 hr or 16hr shifts--concentrated hours with more time off-- which allows you to have time for family, doctors appointments or vacations) and a constantly changing job availability. In what other profession can you change specialties on a moments notice if you get tired of doing that job? Getting bored with geriatric care? Change to pediatric or home health, Hate working OB? You can move to almost any other area and not have to go back to school for further training. I am a nurse for 27 years and I still find the profession rewarding and fulfilling

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Can You Be HIV+ and a Nurse? Richie 01/24/03 07:18 PM
. * Re: Can You Be HIV+ and a Nurse? Anonymous   02/07/03 04:29 AM
. * Re: Can You Be HIV+ and a Nurse? Anonymous   01/25/03 10:45 AM
. * Re: Can You Be HIV+ and a Nurse? Anonymous   01/29/03 01:49 PM
. * Re: Can You Be HIV+ and a Nurse? Anonymous   02/11/03 09:35 AM
. * Re: Can You Be HIV+ and a Nurse? Anonymous   01/29/03 01:46 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5564

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3