Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

megjemima

Reged: 12/08/08
What to be now that I'm grown up? (Career suggestions)
      09/28/13 12:48 AM

I found out I was HIV+ freshman year of college, 16 years ago. It was a time when the virus was on the cusp of being considered "chronic" but it was very much thought of in my mind and in the minds of my doctors as "terminal". As a result I more or less thought of college as a way to pass the time until I died and more importantly as a way to maintain my insurance.

I studied art. I did well. I enjoyed it. I got an MFA and got married. Afterwards, I worked for small companies for far less pay that I would be able to sustain myself, if it weren't for my husband's salary and insurance.

Years past. We decided to have kids. After my first delivered my first baby it was discovered I also have an auto-immune disease. My treatment includes receiving infusions every other month. Meanwhile I am staying at home with my kids.

Soon I will want to re-enter the work force. I would like a job that could support my family in the case that my husband lost his job or somehow I lost him. However, it also needs the flexibility to handle my doctors appointments and taking time off for my kids.

Basically I have to decide at 33 what I want to be when I grow up.

Any suggestions? I don't mind going back to school but it would have to be schooling that would allow me to stay within my current metropolitan area and that I could complete while staying at home with my kids. It will be a few years until they are all in school, but I want to have a plan, since now my plans include living a lot longer.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What to be now that I'm grown up? (Career suggestions) megjemima 09/28/13 12:48 AM
. * Re: What to be now that I'm grown up? (Career suggestions) anotherday   09/28/13 12:17 PM
. * Re: What to be now that I'm grown up? (Career suggestions) riverprincessModerator   09/29/13 09:08 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1020

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3