Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill
      02/19/13 10:23 PM

You are NOT alone. Unfortunately. There are millions of people throughout the world with HIV. I am one, too.

I don't know what you've been told about this disease, but I can guarantee that whatever it is you haven't been told everything. HIV has been around in the mainstream of the USA for over 30 years. In that time we've been learning much about it. You couldn't be expected to know everything.

Sit down with a conselor or a case manager and find out what it is you need to know. Probably how to take care of yourself. To keep from passing the virus to others and to keep yourself from becoming reinfected.

If you're taking meds already it's important to know that you should take them as prescribed. DON'T skip doses! Know how to get your meds and how to get the refills.

As you learn these basics you can start to add in additional information. It can all be important, but most of it isn't life threatening.

Is HIV/AIDS a death sentance? If we were in the 1980's I'd say "Yes", but we're not. In this day HIV is a long-term manageable disease. With proper care and treatment it is expected that those of us who are infected can and will live a near normal life span.

I first tested HIV+ 25 years ago. I had probably been infected for several years before. I am in excellant health. Relatively speaking. My HIV is under control. I have other health issues, but they don't worry me. I realize I'm getting older (NOT old but older!) and my body is showing it.

Is your life with HIV going to be the same as mine or anybody else's who responds to your post? Nope. Our lives weren't going to be the same before we became infected. HIV works similarly but slightly differently in each person. You'll have different health issues than the person next to you at the doctor's office. But, unless you're atotal oddball whatever happens to you has already happened to numerous other people. And, they know how to treat it. No matter what the "it" is.

You've found this website. Congratulations! This is the best website for information about HIV. Even better than the CDC's website. Read here. Not all of it at once, but one or two articles a week. You'll surprise yourslef with how much you can learn in just a year. And, with knowledge comes comfort.

HIV is a complicated disease. There's lots of information. And, when people find out they're HIV+ they think they need to learn everything right away but become overwhelmed by the volume of material. Learn at your speed. But, keep learning.

And, if you have any questions feel free to send me a private message. It may be 2 or 3 days before I read it, but I will read and respond.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill aloneindark 02/19/13 01:10 AM
. * Re: knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill honeydew   02/21/13 01:40 PM
. * Re: knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill oksikoko   02/26/13 04:23 PM
. * Re: knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill DJones   02/20/13 05:48 PM
. * Re: knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill jeannie10   02/20/13 05:07 PM
. * Re: knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill iam1   02/19/13 10:23 PM
. * Re: knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill osomenor   02/19/13 12:31 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3244

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3