Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
Preventing the increasing rate of HIV infections
      07/21/12 01:41 PM

So Iíve been thinking about this for awhile and wanted to post this but wasnít sure if I should, but after reading an article today that I noticed on CNN, I thought it was a sign that I should post it. The article was basically about how HIV infections have been increasing, specifically in gay men, since 2001. Thankfully, the death rate has been decreasing due to medications and Iím always optimistic that we will have a cure some day, but thatís for a different post. Anyways I sometimes think that if I ever spoke to a group of young people on how to prevent HIV, what angle would I take or how would I present it and Iíve come to the conclusion that of course I would say always practice safe sex, blah, blah, blah. If your twenty-something and havenít heard that from somewhere, then you must have been living under a rock. I think the fact that HIV is increasing, and people know they should be practicing safe sex and using clean needles, then just saying that isnít working.

My thoughts are you have to go beyond that. I think the core of the problem is people arenít being loved properly by family, friends, significant others, society etcÖ Now that may sound cheesy but I do think that could be some of the problem. Speaking from personal experience, I recall being very depressed because I had a screwed up family who treated me like garbage, and horrible friends who took advantage of me or didnít give two shits about me and it resulted in an incredibly low self esteem that I turned to promiscuous sex. I had no self-respect for myself or my body. Thankfully that has changed now. I just wish I had given myself a chance that there were good people out there outside of my family and friends that I could have turned too. I wish I had put my focus into school or my job. I wish I would have understood that your biological family doesnít have to be your ďtrueĒ family. As they say, donít you wish you could go back and talk to your younger self and say, HEY, you really need to do things differently because if you donít, this is what is going to happenÖÖ How I wish I could do that.

Anyways, if I could talk to young people, I would talk to them, like I was talking to my younger self and give them the opportunity to think about it and possibly it would result in them making changes in their life to prevent them from getting HIV. Anyways, this is just something I was thinking about and wanted to share.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Preventing the increasing rate of HIV infections notinterested 07/21/12 01:41 PM
. * Re: Preventing the increasing rate of HIV infections AshnBham   08/27/12 02:54 PM
. * Re: Preventing the increasing rate of HIV infections Pos_in_Thailand   07/29/12 12:17 AM
. * Re: Preventing the increasing rate of HIV infections thebird1959   07/21/12 08:06 PM
. * Re: Preventing the increasing rate of HIV infections riverprincessModerator   07/23/12 10:41 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2224

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3