HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
Re: A bit scared - please be kind
      02/25/12 06:22 AM

Thanks, TGL,

The CD4's don't worry me as much as the VL being slightly detectable. I think it's possible that I have a slight cold or bug I'm fighting, and that's weighing on the blood work. Here is what Dr. Benjamin Young said to my inquiry:

"Thanks for posting.

You're understandably over thinking your labs. If your viral load has declined as nicely as it has (from 60,000 to undetectable to 107) this means that you don't have any issues with drug resistance. A very low viral load like the 107 is usually not significant, especially if you happened to have a minor health issue (such as a cold, sinus infection, herpes flair).

It's natural to be very guarded about your CD4s, but note that CD4 absolute counts can fluctuate from day to day- both of your values are within the normal range. Before concluding that you've had a precipitous drop, take a look at your CD4 percentages and see if there's the same large drop there. If not (as I would guess), then the changes in the absolute CD4 are likely not important.

To be fair, some people do fail treatment in the first year, but usually those who have real difficulties with adherence (not you) or in whom transmitted drug resistance was not appreciated (also apparently not you).

I agree with your doctor that a repeat viral load test is in order and 30 days is a reasonable time interval (so long as you don't then have one of the things that I mentioned). We would expect that your viral load would continue to rise, say to 1000, if your virus had developed drug resistance. God forbid, if it does, then drug resistance testing helps map out the next steps in HIV treatment. Know that even in this worst case scenario, our current meds still allow for a well tolerated and effective second-line regimen.

I hope that's helpful. Be well, BY"

Here is the link if you want to read the entire post:
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q220119.html

I hope this helps others that get nervous over these things. I will let you know what happens.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* A bit scared - please be kind Pos_in_Thailand 02/21/12 12:31 PM
. * Re: A bit scared - please be kind Pos_in_Thailand   04/03/12 08:53 AM
. * Re: A bit scared - please be kind lincolnsense   03/02/12 09:01 AM
. * Re: A bit scared - please be kind Pos_in_Thailand   03/09/12 03:51 AM
. * Post deleted by Becky AIDS2HIV   02/21/12 07:51 PM
. * Re: A bit scared - please be kind Pos_in_Thailand   02/21/12 10:06 PM
. * Re: A bit scared - please be kind TheGoodLife   02/24/12 08:26 PM
. * Re: A bit scared - please be kind Pos_in_Thailand   02/25/12 06:22 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3061

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3