Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV
      05/11/09 10:21 AM

I am 54 and have been diagnosed as HIV+ since September 1984 and have been on meds since March 1994. I was diagnosed with AIDS in 2003 when I contracted PCP. With 25 years experience with HIV and 15 years experience with meds, I look to my older years with a mixture of sadness and trepidation.

With one exception, an old boyfriend, and my companion of 28 years, I have lost all my male homosexual friends from my younger days. I have outlived the members of two HIV/AIDS support groups over the years. This experience of unending loss of my gay male friends has made it difficult for me to make new gay male friends. My companion and I have friends all over the world these days with whom we keep in contact. However, I was moved five years ago by my former employer to Los Angeles, a city in which I knew no one and where it is difficult to meet new people because of the physical size of Los Angeles. I am working with a psychologist and a psychiatrist to overcome my fear of new commitments; and, I have joined several groups to meet new people.

Complications from the HIV meds have left me with nerve damage, liver disease and pancreatic enzyme disorders. I have watched as friends sickened and died with med complications and I have also watched miraculous recoveries as friends walked away from hospice.

Over time, HIV has damaged my brain leaving me with mood disorders and cognitive dysfunctions, so severe that I had to retire on disability last year. Not to spread fear, but now that I am aware of what HIV does to the brain, I see the effects of HIV on the mood and cognition of most people with long term HIV infection.

My companion and I are worried about living alone as we grow older and may in the next year or two, enter a Continous Care Retirement Center somewhere in California, preferably near San Francisco, where we have friends from the days we lived in The City.

Growing old with HIV/AIDS isn't for sissies.

Pax Vobiscum,

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Baby-boomers living with HIV Mondo 05/07/09 10:15 PM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV allangering   07/30/09 05:32 AM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV MstrAlex1   05/16/09 11:00 PM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV cunta_stalwart   05/31/09 09:34 AM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV Mondo   05/18/09 11:54 PM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV Aaron75   05/14/09 02:53 AM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV Mondo   05/14/09 06:09 PM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV Margaret   05/14/09 02:12 AM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV Mondo   05/14/09 06:07 PM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV ScotCharles   05/11/09 10:21 AM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV Margaret   05/14/09 02:28 AM
. * Re: Baby-boomers living with HIV DJones   05/07/09 10:37 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8427

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3