Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Lovinlife
Fanatic

Reged: 08/29/08
Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options?
      10/27/08 04:47 PM

hi there-
congrats on your baby.....and on the low viral load! It sounds like you could talk to your doctor about tailoring your treatment plan to help you manage the side effects of meds. My doctor actually has me on a plan that includes medication "holidays." I know some people still say that you cannot do this......but I've done it with the guidance and recommendation from my doctor and so far I have not become resistant to ANY medications. In fact, i just participated in a study that tested if I had become resistant to any meds and I haven't---despite going on and off meds for extended breaks. It might be something you could bring up or discuss with your doctor depending on your health history and how your body has reacted/responded to the virus and to medication.

I have children and am currently pregnant and can definitely sympathize with the difficulty of caring for a little one while trying to adjust to side effects of meds. If possible, you really need to enlist the help of friends or family and remember--a lot of women try to cram in a bunch of stuff to do while the baby is sleeping. The laundry can wait........when your little baby sleeps---go right to sleep with her! When my son was 5 months old and still waking up at night a lot, I would get up and do laundry, scrub the floor, organize the house, get lunches packed for my husband and myself for the next day...until I was like a ghost during the day. I would smile and my family told me they were terrified because it was as though my eyes, smile, and actions were completely empty. At 5-6 months, your little girl should start sleeping through the night which will help you.

I have been in almost EXACTLY your same position--same lab results, same place in motherhood....and trust me it gets better as YOU get rest. The CD4 will come up.

If you aren't eating as well as you should due to a busier schedule or trying to save money.....try to start changing your diet in small ways. Keep veggies around and munch on carrot sticks and other veggies. Eat an apple and some yogurt. Treat yourself to a nice soup from an organic grocery store and get some good quality vitamins. If you cannot afford them---sometimes there are local organizations that can help you out.

Hang in there! having a 5 month old can be exhausting because you are going for several months without enough sleep. If you have friends or family that can come and stay with you overnight 1 night per week so that you can sleep through the night--that can be very helpful.

Hang in there! Your body will adjust to the side effects of the meds as you are able to get more sleep and eat better. I wouldn't suggest any crazy new exercise routine--but a nice short walk with baby to get fresh air will do wonders. I know when I'm on meds it feels like I am dragging around bricks for legs and the idea of exercising makes me feel horrible. But, snuggle that little girl up in your arms and just take a stroll around the block if you can.

Most of all....know that it gets better as you get more sleep.....

Hugs,

T

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? hblue23 10/16/08 11:49 PM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? Lovinlife   10/27/08 04:47 PM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? hblue23   10/28/08 10:24 PM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? Lovinlife   11/02/08 07:49 PM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? Margaret   10/22/08 11:13 PM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? ScotCharles   10/17/08 11:19 AM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? hblue23   10/28/08 11:04 PM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? Seekyah   10/17/08 01:29 AM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? Jackie__Blue   10/17/08 06:48 AM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? magneticmama   10/23/08 03:28 AM
. * Re: Help! Drugs or no Drugs? Options? hblue23   10/28/08 11:47 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8071

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3