Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Something to mull over...
      02/20/08 08:55 PM

Why is a lack of disclosure akin to fear? Because the person disclosing to me told me they hadn't done so before because of fear. Do you purpose to second guess this persons innermost thoughts?

Fear of disclosure is very real. In a recent survey we put together for our clients we found it ranked right below transportation issues for barriers to accessing services.

We tried a support group that no one came to. When asked, the consensus was because of the fear they might be seen entering the meeting. These people's fears are real and must be respected.

My issue on the first post was only with the one person that while asking others to disclose their status, would not do that themselves. Again. Don't ask, what you, yourself are not willing to give.

I'm glad you don't feel the stigma that has been attached to this disease. However in rural areas, this feel good about being HIV hasn't really made an appearance. And won't until more people start living openly. It's still whispered about. It's not easy for these people and it can't be wiped away with platitudes.

"Question: Should a medical condition define the person that I am? "

Of course HIV does not define my complete existence, but yes, it is part of what defines me. To deny the impact HIV has on each and every one of us in our day to day lives, is to deny a part of ourselves. You can not fight nor defeat what you choose to deny.

It's good Pats, that you feel so easy in living with HIV. I've seen that trend in those of you that haven't live with this as long. It's a good sign that we are slowing changing people's view of people that live with this disease.

You can thank those that have gone before you....
Those that have disclosed uneasily and with doubt, but with courage. Those that have fought for the rights we now enjoy. This isn't a battle that is done.

You said, " Let us be strong as a community for the people that we are, not for our infection.

Sorry, but this seems to ignore the fact we are only a community because of our infection.

"Let us be part of the human struggle against this virus."

Sounds great. What are you doing to that end? I help people without money pay their bills. I try to give a voice to those that can't speak up. I stand before people and tell them what it's like to live with HIV in an effort to let people see that HIV isn't just for the Gays, Drug Addicts, or Sex Workers of the world. I help set policy for Ryan White funding.

I have no idea what a 'condition thumper' is, but if that is what you deem me and if that is someone fighting for the HIV population that can not yet fight and speak up for themselves. Yea, that's me.

Oh and anger. It does have it's place. Both good and evil come from anger. So do not discount it's importance. Most leaps in Civil Rights have been brought forth out of anger. The HIV funding enjoyed by many today, is only because people got angry. All it takes is someone deciding the status quo just isn't right anymore.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Something to mull over... Jackie__Blue 02/19/08 11:01 AM
. * Re: Something to mull over... picaropsv   02/22/08 12:28 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... whocanfigure   02/20/08 02:09 AM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Pats   02/19/08 09:50 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Jackie__Blue   02/20/08 08:55 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Leonardo   02/20/08 09:28 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Florida69   02/21/08 09:43 AM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Jackie__Blue   02/20/08 09:42 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Choosing2Liv   02/21/08 10:56 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4566

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3