Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

sunflower
Grand Master

Reged: 08/31/06
Loc: AK
Re: Started TRUVADA and VIRAMUNE last night at 6pm
      07/15/07 01:30 PM

Whyme - All of us here understand that stress - how to tell people - and reading through these forums people have taken a lot of different approaches to it - some are out there with everyone - let them know first thing; others take a more reserved approach telling those they feel safest with and on a need to know basis, and others don't tell anyone. You will figure out over time what is best for you. There is no "right" answer - only what works best for you. My experience has been that I needed some time to get comfortable with it myself before telling others - I took the time to read and become informed so that I could help those I told deal with it. At first I only told my closest couple friends and a couple people in my family. There are still some in my family I haven't told - we don't have the kind of relationship that they need to know. So far noone I have told has been anything but there for me. It took me over a year to tell my children (22 and 24 at the time).
I told my dentist when I went in after finding out - they are professionals - they may have other patients who are also positive. Mine has been very caring asking me every visit how my numbers are and what meds I am on. I was Very nervous to tell them but it was ok.
I'm not sure how other people do it - but when i tell people - I wait until I can tell them without wanting them to save me or make it ok for me - that way I can be candid and allow them their feelings, which can be scary for them. I offer what I know about the disease and tell them they can ask me any questions. I stay matter-of-fact and give them the space they need to accept it, get familiar with it - remember that it is a shock to them and that they may react one way but come around after they have had a chance to ponder the situation and get over their fears (for you and themselves).
I hope you find this helpful - again, you will find your own way to tell people, take your time and learn about the virus. AND maybe you won't even have to go through all this - maybe your test will come back Negative. Best of luck to you - warm wishes for a great day.

--------------------
Focus on your potential.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Started TRUVADA and VIRAMUNE last night at 6pm Augustus 07/14/07 06:13 PM
. * Re: Started TRUVADA and VIRAMUNE last night at 6pm tcocoa   07/19/07 07:34 PM
. * Re: Started TRUVADA and VIRAMUNE last night at 6pm Augustus   07/19/07 11:23 AM
. * Re: Started TRUVADA and VIRAMUNE last night at 6pm whyme   07/15/07 08:20 AM
. * Re: Started TRUVADA and VIRAMUNE last night at 6pm sunflower   07/15/07 01:30 PM
. * Re: Started TRUVADA and VIRAMUNE last night at 6pm Jackie__Blue   07/15/07 02:25 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41733

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3