The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without...
      12/01/06 09:41 AM

I received my diagnosis from the Red Cross in September 1984 after I gave blood at a company bllod drive. I was lucky as the CDC in Atlanta was beta testing blood screening at the time. The letter from the Red Cross said I had HTLVIII, the name of HIV before Gallo and the Pasteur institute agreed to share credit for finding the infective agent in AIDS, or GRID as it was called in those days.

I did not have an opportunistic infection until April 2004 when I came down with PCP with 374 CD4 and a viral load of 375K. A PCP infection caused me officially to have AIDS under CDC guidelines. So for 20 years, I did not have AIDS; and, I went off meds in 1998 after taking AZT, DDI and D4T for four years.

Since then I've had a host of issues, many linked to meds and some linked to HIV infection. My 20 AIDS free years were a roller coaster ride as you can imagine; but, I'm still here and relatively healthy. Of late, I've developed some diminsihment of motor and cognitive abilities linked to HIV's effect on my nervous system and brain. These effects become apparent over a very long term and shouldn't worry about them now.

The tests for motor function impairment involve painful electric shocks to your peripheral nerves that are to be avoided at all costs. You must be in dire straits to put yourself through these tests beleive me; I had them yesterday and my hands and feet still hurt.

Be of good cheer, friend, you have a very long and healthy time ahead of you.

Regards,

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What is longest period of time HIV+ without... Anonymous 11/30/06 09:37 PM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... James1941   12/13/06 11:01 AM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... alivehoping   12/07/06 01:32 AM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... ScotCharles   12/01/06 09:41 AM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... Anonymous   12/03/06 01:36 AM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... ScotCharles   12/04/06 03:13 PM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... IzPoZ   12/01/06 07:11 AM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... Anonymous   11/30/06 11:09 PM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... Anonymous   12/05/06 04:57 PM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... alivehoping   12/07/06 01:35 AM
. * Re: What is longest period of time HIV+ without... ScotCharles   12/06/06 12:12 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10922

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3