Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

notanonymous
Grand Master

Reged: 04/19/02
Re: receiving oral sex and different views of risk
      10/15/02 10:48 AM

Hey Anonymous, I have been in your shoes and I will give you my 2 cents. I had two different exposures, I am a male and the first exposure was unprotected oral, both ways, and vaginal intercourse and the second was “insertive” oral sex. The funny thing is I never worried over the first “real” exposure which was more high-risk, but after the second one I really flipped due to symptoms, many of them. One being a sore throat like you about the same time after the oral exposure. The sore throat lasted over 2 months. I might sound preachy or hypocritical in a way since I was convinced I was infected myself but I will tell you what I have learned (hindsight being 20/20 of course). I assume that you inserted your penis into someone else’s mouth, correct? Well, as far as counselors and experts go, the terminology used for that is “insertive” oral sex and the person that performs the oral sex is said to be the receiver or “receptive” oral sex. It can be confusing sometimes because you would think of yourself as being the receiver as the insertee. Anyway, I have tested negative through various tests so far at about 5 months post exposure. I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about. But that is easier for me to say at this point. I went through the same thing as you, searching endlessly for info about getting infected through “insertive” oral sex. And the same as you, found a few undocumented claims of transmission this way. I guess it COULD happen, but most say that the persons that claim they got infected this way have lied about their real exposure, which may have been vaginal, anal, and/or “receptive” oral sex, or even IV drug use, but leaving out these details due to stigma, shame, or whatever – maybe so maybe not. There have been some more recent studies about oral transmission and they have pretty much ruled out the possibility of becoming infected through “insertive” oral sex, which you are calling receptive or receiving which would mean you took someone’s penis into your mouth. So, in reading some of Little’s and Holodniy’s posts you might be mis-interpreting what they are saying although I do think they are a little more conservative than most, such as Ryan Kull, in that they would recommend testing even based on “insertive” oral as they think it might be possible. Which it COULD always be possible to some degree, just not likely to happen. In regards to the oral studies I was talking about, they were posted in the Safe Sex forum with Ryan Kull, he posted one in a response and someone else posted a similar article for his opinion either the same day or a few days apart. It was probably sometime around June/July, you might want to browse by category in his forum to look for them. I will look the links, I just don’t have time right now. I MIGHT have posted them for someone else a month or two ago, so you can search for posts under my name if you want, but I’m not sure if I was logged in at the time. But at any rate you can see my symptoms and the replies I got in regards to transmission. Try not to laugh if you do this. And also some of my posts were deleted because I was scared of getting busted via cookies/history on my computer. Anyway, hang in there and I’m sure you will get a neg result. Good luck and sorry for the bad grammar and spelling.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* receiving oral sex and different views of risk Anonymous 10/15/02 04:49 AM
. * Re: receiving oral sex and different views of risk notanonymous   10/15/02 10:48 AM
. * Re:To notanon different views of risk Simon   10/15/02 02:27 PM
. * Re: you said you were leaving Anonymous   10/15/02 01:33 PM
. * Re: receiving oral sex and different views of risk Anonymous   10/15/02 10:01 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5606

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3