Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Friend
Unregistered

Negative results
      04/04/00 10:07 PM

I just got my negative test results about 15 minutes ago. What a relief!

I just want to share a story with all of you out there. I never told anyone, and if I only hope I can help someone who may find themselves in a similar situation. It was Aug 95 when I had decided to live on the edge and have an intimate moment with a stranger. Although I believed I was very careful at the time as far as limiting the activity to "lower" risk, it was only a matter of days before I was questioning my status. As much as I tried, the worry would not go away. It got so bad that I woke up one morning with sharp abdomen pains and a fever. I ended up it the hospital for a day. Nothing was found. You can only imagine what I was thinking. I thought my life was over. I could not cope. Although I did a good job of hiding behind my stressful job (the excuse I would give to my family) It really was taking a toll on me. After someone I really respected at work asked what had happened to me, I realized, it was time for help. I nearly broke out in tears in front of my co-worker and told her it was just stresses of life. I decided to wait 3 months and get tested. What a long 3 months it was. The mistake I made was not seeking counseling. To make a long story shot, I tested negative, was re-born and started to move on with my life. I got married a year later. I though all was good, but in the back of my head I always remembered that although a 3 month test is usually a good sign, it is not always perfect. Over the last four years I lived my life fairly normal but always found myyself obsessing when I had a cold, or anything that was unusual on my skin, etc. I kept saying I was crazy I was negative. Well I was able to do that until I recently went to the dentist and he questioned a white patch on my tongue. I was well aware I was a chronic tongue bitter, teeth grinder and always attributed it to that. Well I decided to stop bitting (at least I thought). It went away for the most part, but never completely over 2 months. I began to obsess again, read every article, every symtem, etc. I was sure I was okay, but in the back of my mind there was that follow up test I never took. I also had swollen (or what I thought were) lymph nodes. I even had pre-cancer removed from my face. You could only imagine. How can I tell my wife, family, etc. Well on Monday, when I realized the thoughts were not going away, I went to the drug store on my lunch break, bought a home test kit. Did it in my car. 3 days later I got my results of negative.

My point here is...

If you are feeling this way, get tested. 3 months later go for a follow up. There are many options to pick from these days. If you are negative, you are negative. Be true to yourself.

Also play it safe, it is not worth it. Again be true to yourself.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Negative results Friend 04/04/00 10:07 PM
. * Re: Negative results rustychaucer5968   08/18/11 01:23 AM
. * Re: Negative results crabmanModerator   08/18/11 07:38 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 910

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3