Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Human Bite and HIV
      10/18/04 12:44 PM

Hi,

I had a bizzare experience. On September 15, 2004, I met a girl for the first time. We were having some conversation inside my car. All of a sudden she licked me a couple of times on my neck and bit me pretty hard on my right arm and made a pink circular mark (about 1 inch in radius). I did not see any blood neither on my arm nor in her mouth though I must admit I did not observe her mouth very closely.

I went to my physician the next day and she said that there was no break in my skin, rather I have a bruise. She also said that if the skin is intact, there is no risk of getting any STD or HIV from getting bitten.
The "bruise" went away in 2 days. But 2 weeks after the incident, on my follow up visit to my physician, she saw (under a bright light) some very very tiny dark marks (about 2 mm in length) in the spot where the "bruise" used to be. She told me those could be some scab marks but also told me not to worry. Those scabs came off after I scratched on them and are fine now. Now I am concerned because my doctor missed those marks the first time I went to her when the bite was fresh. I would like to mention here that those marks are extremely small and you really have to watch very very minutely to see them.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I have a risk of contracting HIV?

2. What exactly is a "break in skin"? If the skin breaks actually, is it always apparent? (I was wondering whether these tiny marks indicate break in skin and thats why I wanted to know from you what a "break" is like.)

3. Is it possible that blood from her mouth (if it was present, I did not see any blood though) could have seeped in through some microscopic cut caused by the bite or through the holes on my skin from where skin hair emerges? (I have a lot of hair on my arms).

4. In order to recreate the episode, I bit myself hard on my left arm and also dug my nails deep into a few areas of my right arm this week. I did not bleed from either but similar tiny dark marks are appearing on some(not all) of the bitten/nailed areas after a day or two. I have read somewhere that there are 4 kinds of skin injuries: contusion, abrasion, laceration and puncture. Will it be possible for you to comment on what do you think my original bite injury was (the bite from that girl) given my subsequent experiments?

5. Do I need to test? I am very scared to get tested.

Symptoms so far (till today, 33 days after exposure):

a. Elevated Temperature (maximum 99.1 degree Farenheit, mainly during afternoons/early evenings, below 98.6 at other times)
b. Loose Bowel Movements (once a day on Day 20 and Day 22)
c. Feel like going for Bowel movement immediately after meals (Day 18 till 23)
d. Slight pain under the armpits and in the groin (A nurse checked for swollen lymphs, said she didn't find any)
e. Slight Sore Throat (Day 21 and 23; early in the morning after waking up, slight pain on left side of the throat while swallowing)
f. Slightly Stiff Neck (Day 20)

I am heavily banking on your advice.

Thanks for your patience.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Human Bite and HIV Anonymous 10/18/04 12:44 PM
. * Re: Human Bite and HIV rjasin123   10/18/04 07:26 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2920

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3