Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Good Luck
Unregistered

Re: low risk activity, ARS symptoms?
      07/03/04 12:20 AM

No, based on your symptoms and your exposure I doubt VERY much that you have been infected with HIV.

I'm responding to your message because I had a similar low risk possible exposure and had almost exactly the same symptoms in the same time frame as you. It started off with an unusually heavy cold a few weeks after, which I didn't worry about too much, followed by a few days of feeling fine, then at four weeks following the possibe exposure an (intermittant) low grade fever (up to 37.8), headache, severe diorhhea
(damn, I can never spell that :)), complete loss of appetite, sore throat, white tongue, and some weight loss - no surprise when you're constantly on the shitter and worried sick. These symptoms lasted about 3-4 days until I took antibiotics and everything felt a lot better within 24 hours except the cough - which was REALLY unusually bad and stayed with me for almost 3 weeks. The doctor told me if the other symptoms were getting better with antibiotics then it won't be a viral infection like HIV, but a bacterial one.

I even had myself convinced that I did have a mild form of the rash on my chest and face, but it was probably just prickly heat or a razor burn. I was really scared and convinced I had contracted HIV.

I was tested with an ELISA three weeks following the possible exposure - negative, as tends to be the case. At 7 weeks post possible exposure I had a nested PCR and another ELISA - both NEGATIVE.

The doctor who conducted my tests (a different one from the one who gave me antibiotics) handles a lot of HIV infected people and does a lot of testing - said that as that PCR test is very, very accurate at 7 weeks, and with the negative antibody test at the same time, it is almost certain that I am clean, and that I should only get another antibody test at 3 months IF I am worried - just to ease my mind. In other words, it appears that I am almost certainly ok.

So, what probably happened? A bunch of things at once it seems...I had a severe cold, I probably contracted a stomach flu (due perhaps to bad food or water), and a bronchial infection within days/weeks of each other. Unlikely? I thought so but this must happen all the time.

Get the test, yes, to ease your mind, but I'm betting you'll almost certainly turn out fine. However, as another poster said, you may have put yourself at risk for contracting another STD like herpes, etc., but HIV? I really doubt it, it's really really really rare for those sticking their wick in somebody's mouth. To have 100% of peace of mind about HIV next time you get a BJ, wrap it up - this also GREATLY reduces the chances of you passing other STDs, etc. on to your partner giving you the BJ. As for me I will get tested for other STDs and probably will get another ELISA as well at three months because it's hard to cure a worry-wart! ;)

GOOD LUCK to ALL of you out there (+ or -) God be with you all and if you play, play safe! Rock the vote and support a candidate who supports health care, in the USA and especially in the third world!! This experience has at least made decide to have a lifestyle change and I now know where my vote will go (read: not to Bush). We are with you and love you all.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* low risk activity, ARS symptoms? Anonymous 03/30/04 09:29 AM
. * Re: low risk activity, ARS symptoms? Good Luck   07/03/04 12:20 AM
. * Re: low risk activity, ARS symptoms? Anonymous   05/25/04 10:27 AM
. * Re: low risk activity, ARS symptoms? Switch625   03/30/04 10:31 AM
. * Re: low risk activity, ARS symptoms? Anonymous   03/30/04 05:19 PM
. * Re: low risk activity, ARS symptoms? Switch625   04/01/04 08:19 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4207

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3