Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: i am a prostitute.
      06/17/04 04:20 AM

Hi,

at least in my country (Germany), the prevalence of HIV among non-IDU prostitutes is very low, in the sense of being barely higher than the low general population baseline of 0.1 percent. Obviously, this is due to protected sex really being protected, as Dr. Bob would put it, and therefore if being a prostitute offering protected intercourse was your only risk factor for exposure to HIV, then I guess you'll be fine.
That said, if you have not done so already, I would suggest that you get vaccinated against Hepatitis B, because Hep-B is way more contagious than HIV, and hence the risk of Hep-B infection from those occasional condom breaks would be more of a threat than HIV exposure. Because people who do not clear Hep-B by their own devices (which however most who contract the virus manage to do) suffer from a life-threatening condition for the rest of their lives and actually have less treatment options than HIV-positives, it would certainly be valuable to your staying healthy to establish a second line of defense here.
Also, I'd recommend, if you don't do this already, that you start getting a full STD screen regularly. Antibiotics are highly effective in curing the bacterial ones, and even relatively harmless STD's like Chlamydia can have dangerous long-term consequences if they go untreated, especially if you're female.
In the unlikely event that you're positive, being a customer to prostitutes myself, I'm not sure that I would expect you to quit your current job if you don't have decent alternatives, at least not on the spot (I've been a long-term customer of prostitutes myself, so this is not just abstract talking unrelated to my own life on my part). Serodiscordant couples have a very low risk of infecting their partners, and because of this I think that by using extra-strong condoms, you could in this case avoid infecting a customer until you've had enough time to find something new to live off.
But, I don't think this will happen, and would be delighted to receive an HIV-negative-wooohooo from you as soon as possible!

Kind regards,
Anonymous

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* i am a prostitute. Anonymous 06/16/04 03:18 PM
. * Re: i am a prostitute. Anonymous   06/19/04 07:23 PM
. * Re: i am a prostitute. Anonymous   06/17/04 04:20 AM
. * Hi German guy-Re: i am a prostitute. Anonymous   06/17/04 09:10 AM
. * Re: i am a prostitute. Anonymous   06/17/04 02:04 AM
. * Re: i am a prostitute. Anonymous   06/16/04 03:34 PM
. * Re: i am a prostitute. Chiquilla   06/16/04 03:41 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4106

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3