Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Gay Men

tonymurf

Reged: 03/15/12
Why don't we love ourselves?
      03/15/12 03:57 PM

I work for an HIV prevention organization and receive many applications from people who want to work for me as a speaker. As an HIV-positive gay male, I (of course) am extremely sensitive to those folks who detail the circumstances surrounding their HIV infection. What troubles me is that as gay men we are taught to not like ourselves, to harm ourselves, and to ultimately take our own lives. Sweeping statement, I know. But where is the new generation of gay people that LOVE themselves and do not aim at self-destruction? I posit that the older generation needs to reach out and start to talk to young gay people about living and loving. I am turning 47 and I still have the echoes of homophobia in my head, both internal and external. I am deeply involved in working with HIV-positive people so this notion comes from a very connected space. Our message should be to find a way to accept yourself and get help if you cannot do it alone. Infection numbers are jumping again (dramatically) in the gay community. It's not cute to self-destruct, is it? It's painful, ugly, and the climb back is long and hard (for those that make it back). True, all lives are fraught with ups and downs. We are bearing witness to another generation of gay men who choose death over life. I know it is not the entire community but damn near close to it. Self-care is a great gift. No-one, no man, can give that to you. You must buck up and care for yourself first. Whatever follows is gravy.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Why don't we love ourselves? tonymurf 03/15/12 03:57 PM
. * Re: Why don't we love ourselves? riverprincessModerator   03/15/12 05:41 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1208

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3