Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Disclosure of HIV status without permission
      06/22/11 02:43 AM

Welcome to the world of "Why did you feel the need to tell someone else about me when it doesn't even affect you?"

Unfortunately, there is no legal restriction from someone in general discussing anything they've heard or thought they've heard.

There is HIPAA which restricts some people from discussing or disclosing whether or not you're even HIV+. Do a search for it on this website to get some guidance in how it affects you and your HIV status.

I work parttime at an HIV transitional housing facility. When asked I don't know anyone who lives there. And, the facility itself is just housing. Phone callers for clients are told that there is noone there by that name. Doesn't matter if the person is standing right next to me. The clients have a phone in their room and are told to give the room number, so people can call them directly.

I've gotten "politically" good at not answering questions. I can obfuscate with the best of them!

But, and this is something else that is stressed to the clients, anyone else who lives there who is not employed by the facility can disclose to any third party any "information" they want be it correct or incorrect.

Your wife's family are just being ignorant asses. Confront them and ask them why they feel the need to discuss with the rest of the world your personal health issues. But, there is next to nothing you can do to prevent them from opening their mouths and spouting garbage.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Disclosure of HIV status without permission *DELETED* njpozdad 06/15/11 07:18 AM
. * Re: Disclosure of HIV status without permission iam1   06/22/11 02:43 AM
. * Re: Disclosure of HIV status without permission kicker   06/15/11 12:18 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3025

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3