Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

kicker
Veteran

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Disclosure of HIV status without permission
      06/15/11 12:18 PM

Have you asked them why they feel the need to air the laundry? It could be that they don't see it as a big deal and just an illness and are doing it under good intentions (best case) or see it as a form of retribution (worse case).

If it's under the best case you can simply say that you would prefer that they did not, because you see it as a personal matter.

If it's under the worse case I would remind them what liability is. That if it directly harms you for their loose lips that you can hold them liable in law. For example if you are employed and it cost you or your company a client then they could be held responsible.

I would speak with an attorney and find out what the details are for liable lawsuits and go to them with it. Some states allow you to sue if there is emotional distress caused by the loose lips party. Remind them that they are treading on very thin ice especially since HIV is covered under the AWDA.

As far as when someone comes to you and asks if this is true, you can just smile and say something like, "My wife's/ex's family, the lengths they won't go." And leave it at that. You're not being dishonest and most people will see that as there is turmoil between you and them (the family) and they (the family) are being nasty.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Disclosure of HIV status without permission *DELETED* njpozdad 06/15/11 07:18 AM
. * Re: Disclosure of HIV status without permission iam1   06/22/11 02:43 AM
. * Re: Disclosure of HIV status without permission kicker   06/15/11 12:18 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3275

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3