Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

dreamdzign
New User

Reged: 04/20/00
Loc: Dallas, TX
Working Out
      10/29/09 01:11 PM

POZ for 11 years here, been doing great on my meds, T-Cell count is over 1,100 and VL is undetectable, but I am ALWAYS tired. A couple years ago I found out my body was no longer producing testosterone. Another side effect of long-term HIV infection, doesn't happen to everyone, but... there it is. So no big deal, I take injections every two weeks to replace it. The crap you smear all over your arms and chest is nasty and sticky, and the patches weren't getting absorbed. I'm also on Provigil now to help me stay awake through the day. It's prescribed mainly for narcolepsy, but in my case, it seems to be helping.

I want to get back to the gym, as I'm hoping some exercise will start to give me more energy over time. I completely understand that I need to start slow and build up. But what should I start with? I've been so tired for so long that I do nothing but get up, go to work, come home and lay in bed again. I barely have had energy to keep up with household chores. I'm not overweight (I rarely am hungry and don't eat well - working on that too), I'm 6'2" and 200# with a 33" waist.

I tried to go the gym and start with some weights, but even the lightest made my entire arm, and eventually body, shake just after a few reps. Am I doing something wrong?

Should I start on the treadmill or maybe swimming for a few weeks? I was thinking maybe some light aerobic activity to get me into this would help first and start to get my body adjusted to working out. But not sure.

If anyone else has experienced this, or has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I'd love to stop feeling like a wimp all the time!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Working Out dreamdzign 10/29/09 01:11 PM
. * Re: Working Out Studsmurf1985   12/11/09 10:38 PM
. * Re: Working Out inHoustonTx   11/08/09 08:18 PM
. * Re: Working Out mountainman   11/05/09 04:37 PM
. * Re: Working Out Choosing2Liv   11/03/09 03:57 PM
. * Re: Working Out jeremyspain   11/03/09 04:00 AM
. * Re: Working Out rotwang   11/02/09 09:53 PM
. * Re: Working Out MikeNUSA   11/02/09 06:55 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5994

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3