Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

nomoreworry4me
Master

Reged: 12/24/07
gays can give blood long they are neg after expose
      12/29/07 06:25 PM

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. Actually, this is an extremely controversial issue.

If you look at CDC and FDA guidelines, a man who has had sex with another man (since 1977) is excluded from donating blood, organs, and tissues. This is to exclude any possibility of the transmission of HIV, Hepatitis B, and other bloodborne diseases. The rates of HIV and Hepatitis B are higher among Gay men (men having sex with other men), than the overall population.

Where it starts getting controversial, is that not all Gay men are at risk for these diseases. If a Gay man has been tested for HIV and Hepatitis B, and tests negative 6 months or more after his last possible exposure to these viruses, this would then indicate that he is not infected. And if a Gay man has been vaccinated against Hepatitis B, he is not at risk for Hepatitis B. Despite this, the guidelines say that men who have had sex with other men (even one time) since 1977, are excluded from donating. It was in 1977 that HIV had most likely entered the United States.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* gays can give blood long they are neg after expose nomoreworry4me 12/29/07 06:25 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2760

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3