The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

redribbon

Reged: 10/24/07
ORAL SEX...MY INFECTION
      10/24/07 02:20 PM

We have all heard the saying that Oral sex is "safer " sex, which I too to an extent believe to be true with the very limited evidence at hand. However since my diagnosis in June 2005 I have learnt of many people claiming to have contracted HIV the same way as myself, Oral Sex !

Yes we are shunned and even called liars, dismissed as false statistics and accused of trying to scare monger.

Well the fact of the matter is oral transmittion of HIV is a very real threat, and one we should wake up too and invest more research and obtain reliable evidence.

With the huge increase in herpes, syphilis and other STD's our mouth is becoming a more suitable route of transmission as the HIV has the ability to ' piggy back ' into our system.

Since the Thatcher years of huge icebergs and information regarding HIV, I decided that it was something I would never catch. I always used condoms for anal sex and never allowed anyone to ejaculate into my mouth. I never had a condom split on me and wouldn’t even kiss if i had cracked lips. I was obsessed to point that I used to phone the National Aids helpline to ensure what I was doing was safe and that I was protected.

In May 2005 I had oral sex with a stranger, he was fit, toned and looked the perfect bill of health. This didn’t prevent me from practicing safe sex. However without warning the guy ejaculated in my mouth. It happened so quick and with no warning. I was angry that it had happened, but not concerned as oral sex was considered safer sex.

After 4 weeks I fell dreadfully ill, I had a sore on my penis and raised lymph nodes in my groin. I was suffering a temperature of 103 and was listless.

I decided to get myself off to the GUM and gave blood for a HIV test, thankfully the results were back the same day and I was negative ( June 16th 2005 ). I was elated and so very happy and relieved.

I was seen by a Consultant as I had also developed a body rash, he was mildly concerned that I was suffering a seroconversion illness, but from my sexual history and negative HIV test thought improbable.

Due to the severity of my symptoms, it was decided that a special p24 test should be carried out. This test finds the HIV virus rather than the anti bodies, I was to return in 4 days time for the results.

The next 4 days were fine, I had been given a negative HIV test and thought my illness was something doing the rounds. I was not worried about the result, lets face it Oral sex is safer sex right, wrong !

I sat in the GUM waiting room for the nurse to give me the all clear. Instead the Consultant called me in, I thought this is odd, what does he want.? I sat down and was told that the HIV virus was present in my body and that I was also suffering with herpes. I starred at him and kept repeating " this is so unfair ". I had always protected myself, washed hands, rinsed mouth, used condoms covered any grazes I may have had.

I sat there and just kept repeating " this is so unfair " Within 4 days I had been diagnosed HIV negative and then HIV positive. My head was messed up as you can imagine.

The consultant concluded that the guy who ejaculated in my mouth could have been shedding the herpes virus and that the HIV came with it.

I was gutted, the first time I had encountered any kind of ' safer ' ( not safe ) sex and I was infected.

The turmoil then got worse as I was advised it could be a false positive result, so more bloods were taken to see if my body had yet produced anti bodies. Two weeks later it was a definite confirmation. I was HIV positive from oral sex.

The usual philes of bloods were taken and my viral load came back at 100,000 and a cd4 of 535, within 3 months my viral load had dropped by 87,000 to 13,000 and cd4 increased to over 600.

So what are the actual risks of catching HIV from oral sex ? Statistically I was told 1 in 50,000. Yet since my diagnosis more and more people have informed that they too caught it from oral transmission.

We use lube and condoms for anal sex, but what protected apart from saliva do we have for our mouths. How healthy are our gums, how often do we bite our tongue whilst eating, what gum damage do we cause when flossing or brushing, how safe is our tongue after cleaning it. Tooth picks, knives and forks, sharp crisps, and other foods damage our mouth tissue. Hot drinks can burn the lining of the mouth causing small blisters. All these make a perfect opening for HIV and other STD's

Perhaps through the circumstances surrounding my infection, others may consider a little more regarding what risk they are prepared to take when having Oral sex.

Do I feel cheated out of a healthy life. Yes I do. I didn’t ask the guy to ejaculate and would not have invited such an act. The actions I took were considered safer, but how safe was my mouth.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* ORAL SEX...MY INFECTION redribbon 10/24/07 02:20 PM
. * Re: ORAL SEX...MY INFECTION vokz   10/24/07 03:24 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4139

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3