Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Past Forums (read only) >> Coping With HIV

magneticmama

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Johannesburg, Souith Africa
Re: telling my kids
      12/08/09 08:08 AM

Hi Gigi,

your kids sound like they are at an age where they can process such info. I mostly deal with disclosure to kids that are HIV positive themselves but I'd think the 'procedure' is not much different in your case.

I think before you tell them that you have HIV it is important that they understand what "HIV" is. Otherwise it's really just a scary word that doesn't mean much other than what they might've heard on TV or at school.

What I usually recommend to the parents is to sit your kids down when you have time and are both relaxed (i.e. not rushing to go anywhere, or exams or whatever) and say that you want to talk to them.

You could then ask them what they know or have heard about HIV to check whether they have the right information and if it is enough. Check that they've understood it well before you tell them that you also have it. It's really important that they understand what 'having HIV' means, both physically as well as in terms of how it would impact on their lives.

They might have a lot of questions now or need to have some space to process it first. Also make them understand why you haven't told them earlier if that comes up (this might not be so relevant in your context- I'm just drawing from my experience with infected kids).

With your oldest you could maybe also discuss prevention strategies so that he knows how to protect himself in the future, once he has sex.

The way I usually explain HIV/Immune System/CD4 cells etc. to kids is that I tell them about the 'body soldiers' in the blood that make up the immune system and protect your body from diseases and that there is a germ/virus that lives in YOUR blood that your body soldiers can't fight all by themselves. That's why you take medicines to make the germ sleep, so that the germ can't hurt your body soldiers. That way your body can work just as well as anyone else's, with the exception that you need to keep taking these medicines so that the germ stays asleep.

I hope that helps!

Magnetic Mama

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* telling my kids gigi5578nj 12/03/09 06:05 PM
. * Re: telling my kids regrets1000   03/29/10 10:11 PM
. * Re: telling my kids magneticmama   12/08/09 08:08 AM
. * Re: telling my kids Jackie__Blue   12/03/09 06:28 PM
. * Re: telling my kids OobiemoObie   12/05/09 08:23 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5755

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement