Past Forums (read only) >> Coping With HIV

Mondo
Regular

Reged: 04/26/09
Loc: Australia
Disclosure, the real ultimate question
      04/29/09 08:12 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply to my post “Tap the collective experience of the forum”.

Like other forum members I also feel it’s good to talk to someone face to face. The scary thing for me is who do I talk to? Please bear with me while I have a bit of a rant.

One thing I feel is that although clinicians and medical staff including psychologists provide a fantastic support role, they don’t have HIV and are somewhat distant from my psychological hurt and loneliness.

I was interested to read Tommyga’s thoughts on “hurting other people with the news”.

I face a similar dilemma as Tommyga and probably most of the forum members. I think that this is a very topical subject and I do not want to re-invent the wheel by opening up a topic that has in all likelihood been thrashed out well and truly on this and other forums. But I would like to put in my two bobs worth.

I feel I will somehow deal with most of the life changing issues that come with this condition, but do not want to hurt my family. If it were as simple as just expanding the circle of people that know of my HIV to 4 or 5 and continuing on, then that might be ok.

I may be a bit paranoid about all this but that’s just me. The complications for me start (hypothetically) when a member of my family tells their partner and the partner tells a member of their family and before you know it the whole deal has gone pear shaped and is out of control. Discrimination is not so much targeting just me anymore but has the potential to destroy my family. The one thing I am very mindful of is that once we decide to disclose, we can’t undo it!

I have taken the position that this is a personal sexual health issue for me and just as I would not tell my family if I had “Genital Herpes” or “Penile Erection Dysfunction” etc, I won’t disclose to them (other than my wife) my HIV. Therefore I am treating this as a personal health issue.

I have not disclosed to anyone other than my wife (obviously) and the medical staff that treat me.

I just thought I would like to express my view. Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

Mondo

A stone once rolled will inevitably gather moss

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Disclosure, the real ultimate question Mondo 04/29/09 08:12 PM
. * Re: Disclosure, the real ultimate question PreciousBiscuit   08/21/09 04:34 PM
. * Re: Disclosure, the real ultimate question logopolis   08/06/09 10:07 AM
. * Re: Disclosure, the real ultimate question DJones   04/29/09 10:28 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4712

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement