Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Disability Retirements
      11/12/08 11:13 AM

Good news, I believe my disability retirements are all done. I say "retirements" because I had to get approval from Social Security (August 3), my employer (October 30) and MassMutual (pending, but the analyst has told my disability lawyer the claim was approved on October 31).

Bad news is that I am disabled because I have HIV Associated Dementia, a subset as I have learned of Frontotemporal Dementia or Pick's Disease. The main symptom of the disease is inappropriate social behaviour. The Pick's Disease is the reason my Social Security claim was approved so quickly; Pick's is on the list of 24 conditions considered so serious that Social Security has targeted them for speedy approval.

I have been acting inappropriately in social settings for many years, but it was only in June of this year that I learned the cause of my bahviour was damage to the temporal lobes of my brain caused by HIV.

I see a psychiatrist regularly who has prescribed a drug regimen to control my behaviour. I also attend a group session to check my behaviour against accepted "norms".

So the big question, poppets, is what do I do now that I am officially retired? I have been working so hard on the disability retirements that I haven't had time to just sit and think about "being" retired.

I probably have a few good years, before I have to go into a nursing home and I should like very much to enjoy them. Travel is difficult as I have a great deal of trouble walking and maintaining my balance. I also do not feel comfortable in social settings were I don't know or trust everyone around me.

The AIDS Service Center here in Pasadena has a number of programs to get us "Dementors" out into the world and into social settings. I take advantage of as many of these as I can.

I paint, do paper crafts (I make sculptures from paper, a little like paper dolls but in 3D), and garden. I have a large garden so there is always some chore or other to do in it. I am able to garden since I can go at my own pace and rest when necessary. Also unlike walking, most gardening is surprisingly spent on your knees, almost like prayer.

Reading is hard as I cannot follow the plot or the author's argument. Television is a waste of time.

I could teach, but the thought of a student asking me a question is frightening beyond understanding.

Ah well, I guess I've answered my question. It's watercolours, paper dolls and gardening for me. Tea at four and bed by eight.

No bad, eh?

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Disability Retirements ScotCharles 11/12/08 11:13 AM
. * Re: Disability Retirements dj1979   11/16/08 04:08 PM
. * Re: Disability Retirements ScotCharles   11/19/08 10:13 AM
. * Re: Disability Retirements Bear60   11/16/08 11:24 AM
. * Re: Disability Retirements ScotCharles   11/19/08 10:16 AM
. * Re: Disability Retirements Toadman   11/19/08 10:22 AM
. * Re: Disability Retirements ScotCharles   11/20/08 09:53 AM
. * Re: Disability Retirements franfrog   11/12/08 12:59 PM
. * Re: Disability Retirements ScotCharles   11/19/08 10:04 AM
. * Re: Disability Retirements franfrog   11/20/08 07:49 AM
. * Re: Disability Retirements ScotCharles   11/20/08 09:38 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6311

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3