Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

pozzibly
Unregistered

Holistic Medicine: From Alternative to Mainstream?
      08/26/06 02:59 AM

Holistic Medicine: From Alternative to Mainstream?
www.holistichealthtopics.com/HMG...ream

It is claimed that a paradigm shift is occurring in our health care system as alternative medicine begins to compete with orthodox medicine to become the dominant paradigm . Although it has been suggested that nutritional therapy and environmental medicine is now part of orthodox medicine , and in spite of the increasing grass roots support for alternative medicine, there is an enormous chasm to bridge before orthodox medicine would be in fear of losing its dominance. Since the upper echelons of orthodox medicine do not appear to be any closer to abandoning their reductionist interventionist approach than they were 2 or 3 decades ago, it would appear that there is more likely to be an integration or takeover rather than a paradigm shift. In fact, the newly emerging medicine has already been termed "integrative medicine". Integrative medicine could only be regarded as a desirable and positive change insofar as it establishes and consolidates a genuine respect for the principles of holism and an appreciation of the whole truth. As has been acknowledged by Bell and co-workers, integrative medicine ideally involves a completely new holistic approach and is not simply "combination medicine" where alternative medicine is added to orthodox medicine.

While this upsurge in the popularity of alternative medicine is consumer driven, largely as a result of the hazardous and ineffective nature of orthodox medicine , there are those who claim that the alternative health movement is an ideological movement which is part of post modernism and globalisation. In fact, the adoption of natural alternative treatments by orthodox medicine is claimed by many to be due to the shift from modernism to post modernism. Interestingly, according to Chan and Chan however, although society generally is becoming "more post modernist", orthodox medicine, with the introduction of so called "evidence based medicine", is going in the opposite direction and becoming "increasingly modernist". Due to the fact that evidence based medicine would normally be considered to be firmly based upon modern scientific concepts, the view expressed by Chan and Chan would appear to be quite valid. However it seems there is little scientific basis for many practices which are utilised by orthodox medicine, while conversely, the practice of alternative medicine is not without some scientific support ( see Medical Evidence or Medical Ignorance? ). If orthodox medicine is not based upon science, clearly, the move towards alternative medicine can hardly represent an abandonment of modern scientific methods ( see Medical Evidence or Medical Ignorance? ).

Since my views may be construed by some to support a post modernist political world view, notwithstanding the fact that this discussion concerns health and not politics, it is important that I make my opinion about this matter quite clear.

Although there are those who regard holistic medicine as part of post modernism , this is a view which I totally reject. In my own case, my interest in holistic medicine predated the invention of post modernism. Furthermore, holistic medicine, being a grass roots movement which has long struggled to survive against continuing condemnation from academics and orthodox medicine , is exactly the opposite of post modernism which was born in the halls of academia. In fact, the determination with which mainstream medicine and science has sought to persecute and discredit alternative medicine is such that resort has been given to the use of fraudulent studies and violent gun toting "SWAT" type raids of the premises of a qualified medical doctor who utilised nutritional therapy. This type of persecution and deregistration of nutritionally oriented doctors is still continuing in the United States, Canada, and the UK.
–Graham Williamson, 2003

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Holistic Medicine: From Alternative to Mainstream? pozzibly 08/26/06 02:59 AM
. * Re: Holistic Medicine: From Alternative to Mainstream? Bear60   08/26/06 09:14 AM
. * Re: Holistic Medicine: From Alternative to Mainstr Anonymous   09/05/06 09:01 PM
. * Re: Holistic Medicine: From Alternative to Mainstr Anonymous   09/18/06 02:59 PM
. * Re: Holistic Medicine: From Alternative to Mainstr Anonymous   10/03/06 07:58 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6900

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3