HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

BrokenWingedBird
Regular

Reged: 11/30/04
Loc: United Kingdom.
Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus
      04/14/06 08:41 AM

Hi,

The thread "Terbinafine (Lamisil): does fungus recur?" (below, on main page of "Treatment")is mine but I am starting a new thread here in order to try and catch the eyes of people who may be able to help me.

My earlier thread resulted in my beginning to treat my toenail fungus (onychomycosis)with Vicks Vaporub . . . because it has clearly worked well for some other people in whom HIV has allowed fungus to root itself in the nails.

I have now been applying Vicks to my toenails for six weeks.

All the nails on my LITTLE toes are now pink and healthy-looking. They used to be yellow and brown and crinkled. So I suspect the fungus has quit them. This is great. It's clear evidence for me that Vicks certainly has some power in this situation.

The nails of my two BIG toes are now absolutely smooth and firm. They used to be rough, crinkly, soft and crumbly. However, all of both two big nails are discoloured: yellow, creamy, or brown. This discolouration is NOT growing out, i.e. new nail becomes discoloured as it appears.

What does this mean?

Does it mean that the two big nails are too thick for the Vicks Vaporub to penetrate to the underside of the nail and so the fungus continues to thrive there, but not on the upper surface? (Afterall, this is why the toxic orally-taken terbinofine is prescribed by doctors - to get at the underside of the nail, where the fungus "hides".)

Or, does it mean that the Vaporub may have destroyed the fungus throughout but because of the thickness of the two big nails Vicks Vaporub causes discolouration?

I could just cease encasing the toes in Vicks every morning and see what happens. However, IF the fungus IS still present in the two big toes, then stopping the treatment may undo all the improvement that has been achieved over the last six weeks to the upper surfaces of both nails.

Has anybody any advice?

Thanks.

BWB.

------------------------------------------

My original thread started with the following posting:

"I posted this question to The Body's Experts two months ago but they haven't replied. Can anyone with experience of "HIV toenails" (onychomycosis) give me advice?

I have had badly infected toe-nails for four years now but to be frank they've been the least of my problems while battling with HIV. However, I'm in a good window right now - an HIV treatment that works and which isn't causing major side-effects. So, I'm thinking that maybe I could take Terbinafine now for the toe-nails. I have been painting my toenails now for eight months with tea-tree oil and vinegar and these seem to have helped all the nails except the big two - which are almost as bad as ever.

My concerns are: 1. added to my toxic HIV drugs, what will it do to my liver, etc, and 2. what's the likelihood of the fungus reasserting itself, if the turbinofine gets rid of it?

Thanks."

-------------------------------------

--------------------
Without a dream, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. Keep hold of your dreams.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus BrokenWingedBird 04/14/06 08:41 AM
. * Re: Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus Anonymous   12/28/06 08:57 PM
. * Re: Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus BrokenWingedBird   04/13/07 03:26 PM
. * Re: Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus BrokenWingedBird   06/29/08 04:05 PM
. * Small question DrDef12   10/05/06 06:34 AM
. * Re: Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus Anonymous   09/27/06 11:02 PM
. * anel sex Anonymous   08/23/06 01:23 AM
. * Re: Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus tuffnftl   06/03/06 08:06 AM
. * Re: Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus BrokenWingedBird   11/09/06 12:55 PM
. * Re: Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus Bear60   06/03/06 08:51 AM
. * nail cure Likir820   05/27/06 04:48 AM
. * Re: Help! Vicks Vaporub & Toenail Fungus Mustang   04/17/06 12:55 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34891

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3