Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Something to mull over...
      02/19/08 11:01 AM

What factors go into someone being so afraid of disclosure that they canít even disclose to a group whose purpose is to make the lives of people with HIV better? How can someone work side by side with this group...attempt to lead themÖ..yet not disclose?

Iím not sure how I feel about this.

Iím angry. Angry at the fact that the stigma is still so strong that someone would feel unable to disclose to a group which has but one purpose; to help people Living with HIV.

Iím angry, because I feel somewhat betrayed. I have put myself out there. Disclosing to groups. Talking about what itís like to Live with HIV. Doing what I can to dispel myths about HIV and the people that live with this disease. Itís not easy to stand in front of a bunch of strangers and say ďI have HIVĒ. Itís not comfortable to find one of these strangers sitting next to you in a restaurant and knowing they recognize you as they lean over to their dinner companion.

I do find it slightly hypocritical. I certainly do believe that people should disclose as they see fit, but at the same time, how can a person effectively fill a position of leadership in this field and not, in good conscience disclose? It feels almost like a betrayal of what we try to do. What right do they have to ask what they themselves refuse to do?

I am saddened. Saddened by the fact that any person still has to feel the need to hide. Sadden by knowing the personal toll it takes to hide such a secret. I would never wish the burden of carrying this secret on anyone. Sadden because I know that one of the biggest reasons we choose not to disclose is our own personal feelings about ourselves and the fear. People disclose when they feel good about themselves and know in their own hearts that they are good and important.

Just seems that no matter how much we seem to gain, weíre never going to win acceptance if we are our own worst enemy.
Thoughts? Comments?

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Something to mull over... Jackie__Blue 02/19/08 11:01 AM
. * Re: Something to mull over... picaropsv   02/22/08 12:28 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... whocanfigure   02/20/08 02:09 AM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Pats   02/19/08 09:50 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Jackie__Blue   02/20/08 08:55 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Leonardo   02/20/08 09:28 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Florida69   02/21/08 09:43 AM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Jackie__Blue   02/20/08 09:42 PM
. * Re: Something to mull over... Choosing2Liv   02/21/08 10:56 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4508

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3