Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

scaredgirl1

Reged: 12/08/12
Oraquick in home mouth swab test question
      12/09/12 12:12 AM

Hi all. Just wanted to thank anyone ahead of time for taking the time to respond to my post. I have read through some of these forums and think this is a great site for information and support, so thanks for that.
I am one of those people who has been afraid to test for years. I am now married, monogamous, but was afraid to have the test done. I am a 27 year old straight female. A few years ago I had an encounter that did worry me slightly, with a straight male around my same age. Brief unprotected vaginal and unprotected oral that I did on him. About 6 weeks or so after the incident I had a few symptoms, sore throat (painful, not scratchy) and a lot of nasal congestion, no fever that I could recall. I saw my doctor during this time and he diagnosed herpangina ( not herpes virus, but some virus common in mostly children and sometimes young adults in the summer months-this was in the summer). Anyways, needless to say I still was sort of worried that it could have been due to ARS, and I can't deny I am a worrier by nature, with many other things not just HIV. Anyways, a few years went by, met my husband, dated, got married, been together 5 years now. A year into our marriage he got stuck with a needle at work ( he is an RN), and had to get testing done. HIV along with hepatitis was negative, and this blood work continued for a year, by protocol at his work and such. He had this done every 3 months for about a year ( just finished his last test in Oct), and all were negative, non reactive. I know you can't assume I am negative because he is, because I know it is harder for the male to get it than the female, but I took a SMIDGE of relief from it.
Well this past week I have gotten myself overly-anxious. Finally today went out and bought an at home OraQuick Mouth Swab Kit, proceeded to take the test, and got one line result (negative). I had smoked a cigg about half hour before this because of nerves, and the directions then said not to eat, drink, brush teeth etc 30 mins before this test. So I got scared the cigg smoke could have affected this. So this evening I got another ( ugh haha) and made sure I hadn't ate, drank, smoked, or anything for at least an hour. It was also negative (one line).
So sorry this is so long! I just wanted to be thorough instead of adding more threads saying "oh yeah! I forgot this!...."
Anyways, of course my worried-ness couldn't just FULLY accept these results...I got online again ( so bad, I know). And I keep seeing things that these at home Oraquick mouth swabs are not so accurate, 1 in 12 people will get a false negative, blah blah blah. Really? Did I FINALLY work up the courage to do this, just to tell me "well you tested negative, but you may not be negative".....
Can I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that I did take TWO of these tests, and both came out negative? Again, sooo sorry to bother anyone and make this so long.

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Oraquick in home mouth swab test question scaredgirl1 12/09/12 12:12 AM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question jamesmore32   12/09/12 12:55 AM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question scaredgirl1   12/09/12 12:58 AM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question scaredgirl1   12/09/12 12:15 AM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question crabmanModerator   12/09/12 07:49 AM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question scaredgirl1   12/09/12 12:07 PM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question crabmanModerator   12/09/12 07:05 PM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question scaredgirl1   12/09/12 08:11 PM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question crabmanModerator   12/09/12 08:53 PM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question scaredgirl1   12/10/12 05:57 AM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question crabmanModerator   12/10/12 07:37 AM
. * Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question ashler1977   12/09/12 12:46 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16803

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3