Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Anonymous
Unregistered

READ THIS..CONDOM HOLES???
      01/08/02 12:40 PM

HIV & Condoms
Posted: Sep 21, 2000

Last evening a friend told me he heard that HIV is smaller than the smallest pores in condoms and that the virus can pass through condom membranes. Have you heard this or is it just another rumor?

Thanks in advance.

Your friend may have heard that -- it's a rumor that's been flying around for some time -- but it is not accurate information. In laboratory studies, latex condoms prevent the transmission of HIV and other STD organisms. The pores are smaller than sperm and viruses and bacteria that cause STDs. Condoms are proven to be effective barriers to HIV, herpes, CMV, hepatitis B, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. The pores in lambskin or animal membrane condoms are larger than these viruses and bacteria and will not always prevent transmission of STDs.

Of course, condoms need to be used correctly and every time in order to be effective barriers against STDs. The average condom failure rate in studies is about 12%. The failure rate is most often attributed to incorrect use, inexperience with use, and failure to actually use one every time for sex.

Please refer to Lambskin condoms and Condom Failure for more information on this topic.

RMK

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* READ THIS..CONDOM HOLES??? Anonymous 01/08/02 12:40 PM
. * Re: READ THIS..CONDOM HOLES??? Bearded Dragon   01/08/02 01:12 PM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1727

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3