Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

rufenough

Reged: 04/22/06
Even more dissapointed!
      05/02/06 04:18 AM

Well,

I get my 8 week results on Thursday...already had the clap treated, nearly 80% sure the syphiilis will come back pos (cos of the awful rash I have had).......and still sweating like hell over the HIV result....becuase of the symptoms and diseases I have had from this one exposure, Im pretty low at the moment and dont like my odds, even though I can find nothing anywhere about the amount of multiple STD infections that occur from single exposure.

On the subject of odds, and having spent days and weeks reading about HIV here and elsewhere. I have to say I am very disspointed in the apparent inconsistencies and contradictions within the Medical community about HIV.

These inconsistencies make it difficult for both sufferers and those anxious about possible infection.

I read the Cancer Institutes Mission Statement at http://www.retrovirus.info/mission.html the opening statement being.
"At present, approximately 1 million Americans and 40 million people worldwide are infected with HIV. The vast majority of these individuals are destined to die of AIDS unless truly effective therapy can be developed. For them, as well as many more who will become infected within the next few years, any future vaccine will come too late, and effective therapy must be developed to combat existing infection"

So who represents the vast majority, in the cancer insititutes eyes? ....so those infected now and in the future are destined to die the same way? This outlook flys in the face of all the comments made by the professionals on this website and eslewhere, who say that with CURRENT (let alone future meds) modern HAART regimes, and new meds coming on stream, HIV is now a chronic but not fatal disease. So who is telling me the truth? Please tell me.

Then of course for those like me.....who are looking for comfort in information about the risks of infection/co-infection. I can take figures from what we might consider ought to be reliable sources. Some say my risk is as low as 3333:1 from a single HIV exposure, others say its 2:1 !!!!!! For the same act. Quite a disparity dont you think?

Then the more logical outlooks seem to suggest risk of 5 or 6 to 1 or up to 50:1. Ive had to work out for myself that if thier are 40,000,000+ infected individuals and the odds of transmission are a 1000:1 each individual who got infected had a damn good sex life before they became +ve!!

I wish the idiots leading people into a false sense of security about risks would shut their mouths, and stop encouraging risk. I, and I know others hold you to some degree accountable for our situations.

I have read many accounts similar to my own, young (once)somewhat redblooded, and somewhat educated about HIV (although not educated accurately by the proliferation of crap on the internet, published by supposedly reputable sources) have wieghed up the risks based on their readings, and taken the plunge into mother natures realm without the aid of a raincoat....just once, and hey presto life ruined......1000:1/ 50:1 crap!!!!!! The HIV virus is like any other, it must be effectively transmissable to survive. Who are these clinicians doing these studies???? I hope they dont get paid too well. How do they justify publishing these wildly differing claims?

The act of sex is as basic to mankind as eating, and yet we are made (by some) to feel like social outcasts when we catch a disease as a result of that act. This too is something that I find difficult to except, even in the STD clinics you sense a kind of "Oh not a another one" attitude.....what are they all celibate?

Does anyone actually know what they are talking about?

Post Extras: Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Even more dissapointed! rufenough 05/02/06 04:18 AM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/02/06 12:27 PM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! rufenough   05/03/06 02:45 AM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/03/06 08:22 AM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/03/06 01:27 PM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/03/06 01:26 PM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/02/06 03:03 PM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! rufenough   05/03/06 01:46 PM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/03/06 05:32 PM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/02/06 07:01 AM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/02/06 05:26 AM
. * Re: Even more dissapointed! Anonymous   05/02/06 11:38 AM

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2994

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3