Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

very worried mom
      #99094 - 05/24/04 06:11 PM

i am 3 months pregnant and had a HIV test done. The results came back inconclusive. I am terrrified that I may have HIV or maye passed it to my 6 year old daughter at birth. What are my chances that the test came back inconclusive due to me being pregnant? And would my six year old daughter shown signs of this by now?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sue67
New User

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: very worried mom new
      #99180 - 05/26/04 07:37 AM

more than likely your 6 yr old is fine....but talk to your pediatrician, and get your self tested again. Both of my children are neg. I found out I was pos. when I was preg with my first, they were both born by c-section. (less chance of contracting if they dont go thru the vaginal track they told me). Modern medicine is truly amazing. The main thing is that you dont stress too much in your condition, dont worry until there is something to worry about. you can stress your baby and your 6 yr old can feel it too! stay calm and go back to the dr. We will remember you and your family in our prayers.

chiquilla
Unregistered

#99229 - 05/26/04 02:37 PM

very worried mom,
i am so sorry to hear about your current worries. I just wanted to tell you that false positives in pregnancy are a reality. Also, coming back inconclusive does not necessarily mean positive. For example, with the Home Access test, if you call and they tell you that your results were inconclusive, that can mean that the blood sample sent was not sufficient or that there was a problem in the testing. They ask you to send a new sample. The tests that are used are VERY sensitive, and false positives are possible (especially if you are pregnant or had a recent miscarriage or abortion).
I hope this helps. Take a deep breath and try and relax (I know that sounds impossible, but this too shall pass...)
Good luck. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Chiquilla

K-teen
Unregistered

#99369 - 05/30/04 10:54 AM

I dont know much about this but my mom was 41 and they said she had it for many years and no signs were shown until she was 40/41 ....so there is no exact time for signs to start showing which is why its so bad and people never know ... my mom was a long term non progessor so she didnt get any signs for a long time at all and it all of a sudden jus came..i think you should get your daughter tested out and get yourself tested out again because your unborn baby could get it when you have it,,....i hope NONE of you have it because i am only a young teen and i lost my mother to it...good luck bye

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99515 - 06/04/04 09:31 PM

i have a 3 yr old boy not positive i took the meds i had to take only i believe like 8% transmission with prper meds i think the 6 yr old would have shown signs already pray to jesus for the strength thats what i do an it really works good luck it will all work out it always does enjoy oyr day an your child each moment is a true blessing

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100182 - 06/20/04 01:47 PM

usually when someone takes an aids test it is called an elisa test if it comes out inconclusive or positive the doctor needs to take another form of Aids test called the wessler Test, that is the test that will tell if you are truely positive or not.

anonymously
Unregistered

#101121 - 07/10/04 10:14 PM

I work in an ID clinic and I've seen it happen alot that the tests can come back inconclusive, and other tests be negative. Even upon repeating sometimes would show the same. But even if worst case possible..you were positive, with meds and getting your viral load undetectable it is 2% or less that your baby would be born with it. I am also HIV+ and pregnant.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#111513 - 09/12/04 08:40 PM

I found out I was positive when my kids were 7 and 8. I was petrified and it took a few weeks to have them tested,

Luckily they were both negative. Have your 6 year old tested.

Good luck

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4808

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3